Online Medical School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med123456

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school recently decided to have our physiology class online as well as a few other classes due to low attendance of the students. Instead of having lectures we now just have monotonous voice-over powerpoint. Is this a trend that is popping up in other med schools as well, and what do you guys think about online medical education?

Members don't see this ad.

I WISH! That would be awesome IMO.

As long as faculty have to get paid to teach, it probably won't become that common for most classes.

That said, we have plenty of online options to help us avoid classes; but the admin doesn't sponsor class skipping.

crazy. there's low attendance in a lot of lectures at my school, too, but they haven't done the online thing yet. I don't think it would make that big of a difference to some people. I hardly go to class, doesn't work with my sleep schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this would be great. I'm not saying all subjects would work in this format, but quite a few would: immunology, physiology, embryology, virology.

My school recently decided to have our physiology class online as well as a few other classes due to low attendance of the students. Instead of having lectures we now just have monotonous voice-over powerpoint. Is this a trend that is popping up in other med schools as well, and what do you guys think about online medical education?

I had embryo on powerpoint with voice-over. It didn't work well for me but others may disagree. Depends on your learning style.

is this available to the general public?
can i downlowd your lectures?

is this available to the general public?
can i downlowd your lectures?

My stuff is password-protected, but the entire health sciences system including satellites has access. This includes faculty and staff, so while it's not completely public; the lady who mops the floor at night can learn about cranial nerves on her own time too.

Michigan has a lot of their gross anatomy stuff open to the public, and I think Arkansas has a clone site.

my school has audio recorded for most lectures, and i dont even use that. i just use a textbook, review book and the lecture outlines/objectives.

If they could set this up so that perhaps some of the better schools got together and developed excellent classes that they shared, it could be as fun as SDN even though you actually have to learn something. Think of all the time wasted by schools duplicating each others efforts. Take the same effort and put it into non-duplicate / better classes with interactive online content, and you have a winner in terms of covering the fundamentals. You could even have online exercises, 24/7 access to instructors and other students in the same class around the world via chat.

In fact take it a step further and just have correspondance medical school. They could mail you a cadaver for anatomy and everything.

(Ok, I admit I stole the cadaver in the mail idea from another similar thread that came up not too long ago).