Online O-Chem Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of an online o-chem class i can take? one that has a flexible start date (preferably one of those independent learning ones).....and doesn't cost $700?

Members don't see this ad.

What about the lab? I am assuming this isn't for you, because of you mdapplicants profile?

actually it is for me... i got a c+ in an ochem class, and am thinking if i retake the class, maybe that'll show usc that i'm not o-chem challenged....

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i had one and a half C+'s....(one was only a half quarter class)...both were in o-chem....so i'm thinking it matters somehow......

I know UCCS has an online ochem course. It's a 2 semester course with semester 1 in the summer, and semester 2 in the fall. There is a lab for the in-residence students, but they exclude any distance students from it. I've heard wonderful things about it. I have the professors for it for the classroom version of the class now and love it. They are awesome teachers. It wouldn't be a self-paced course tho and I'm not sure how they work the tuition for the distance students but it would definitely be a good class.

On the other hand I really wouldn't worry about 2 C+.

Good luck!

i'm not applying again, just trying to up my chances of getting off a waitlist........i figure anything i can do to increase my chances i should try and do.....i'd hate to think that i could have done something to get off of that waitlist and didn't do it because of laziness or because i wasn't sure it would matter....

No idea about online courses, perhaps a search on google.com would help you out.

I'd take it at Pierce College or CSUN over the summer and get it over with. I have heard CSUN's summer session instructor is great. PM me if you need more info.

edit: I just looked at some sites and came across this. I'm sure if you take this website apart ( go to all the links ) you will come across what you're looking for. Good luck Chemistry Online Link

thanks for the info!!

you should check out Weber State University. i am currently taking an online inorganic class through them, and its really great. their site is www.weber.edu. hope that helps.

racystacey07 said:
you should check out Weber State University. i am currently taking an online inorganic class through them, and its really great. their site is www.weber.edu. hope that helps.

Umm. Are all these classes online? It's a nightmare trying to figure that place out.

I don't understand how an online organic chem course can come anywhere near a physical class. It would be so easy to cheat, open the book and answer tests, have someone else take the test, etc. etc. the possibilities for cheating just seem crazy. Honestly I just can't see how a medical school could honestly compare an online class from a physical class you took. Sorry to be the downer of the bunch.

bgreet said:
I don't understand how an online organic chem course can come anywhere near a physical class. It would be so easy to cheat, open the book and answer tests, have someone else take the test, etc. etc. the possibilities for cheating just seem crazy. Honestly I just can't see how a medical school could honestly compare an online class from a physical class you took. Sorry to be the downer of the bunch.

the tests for these classes are proctored either by someone from a list they provide you with for your area or with someone who is approved to proctor these things.....i mean, your grade during a physical class is mostly from tests, so really it's the same thing....

So you don't take the tests online then? You have to go to a physical location to take them?

Usually for these classes yes you have to go to a testing center at a local cc, university, or high school to take them under proctored situations. Some of the liberal arts classes I've taken have had open book quizzes (harder than you'd get from a closed book one) and then added extra writing assignments to make up the diff between a offline and online class.