online pre-vet reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c17lat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken science courses online. I was looking at oregon state's on-line chemistry coures with the lab included online. Do vet schools accept these online courses and online labs?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea about chem.... I took the online biochem there, which was not fun, and the media was problematic at best, and I was admitted this year...however I took all my actual lab sciences at a college with hands on labs. Best advice, as always, is to call the schools you are interested in and ask if they will accept that.

I talked with the advisor at UW-Madison and she advised that the adcomm doesn't like seeing online classes. The UW System has a good portion of the classes online, and even though they are offered through the college, the advisor recommended to take in-person classes.

Just my two cents, but I guess it depends on the school because I've heard of other people getting accepted with online classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be worried about a lab taken online, especially in chemistry. Sure you may learn the formulas and how to apply them, but things like qualitative analysis or titrations don't really seem to be possible on a computer. So basically I agree with sumstorm, an online lecture may be feasible, but not recommended for labs.

Yeah, I kind of feel like you can probably get away with it for a few courses if the vast majority are in person....what worries me with chem is that it tends to be a pre-req for other required courses like ochem, biochem, some bio courses, etc.

I don't think taking biochem or genetics online hurt me because my fundamentals are sound and proven in actual classrooms and through research. I have a feeling if I took my intro bio pre-reqs online, that might have hurt me.