Online/Summer Classes Look Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msd848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it looks bad to take science classes over the summer, or online courses. I have taken organic chemistry 1 and 2, biology 2, and plan on taking genetics and biochem over the summer. (genetics and biochem will be online courses)

I have also taken 2 psychology courses online over the summer.

Will this be looked at negatively by DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of summer classes being an issue, but online classes vary depending on the DO school. I haven't encountered a DO school where genetics/biochem was a prerequisite - if they are, you will want to contact the school directly to find out if they will accept them.

I've taken several courses online. None of the classes online are indicated as "online" on my transcript. Not sure how your college labels them. They just look like normal classes, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't remember which, but i'm pretty sure i saw a school that required biochem. and, according to my handy dandy "where to apply" spreadsheet (with stuff directly from school websites), vcom says "Six (6) additional science hours are required (Faculty recommend courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, or Genetics to enhance the students' success in medical school)"

Just like how Universities consider the difficulty of your curriculum, they will consider that summer classes are in general a little bit easier than semester classes....if you have extenuating circumstances as to why you are taking them it would be one thing

but as somebody said...i don't think genetics and biochem are prereqs....just often recommended

Isn't this cross-posted to pre-allo? Or is there a difference in how osteo and allo schools view this?

these schools require biochem (according to the 2010 cib):
dmu
kcumb-com (and genetics)
msucom (and genetics)
unecom

if summer school is wrong i don't wanna be right!

I think summer and online classes are becoming more viable options for non-traditional students. For those of us with full time jobs and families, sometime this is our only choice. Not all of us have the luxury of attending school as our full-time job, ya know? I think that schools should appreciate the hardwork and your evidence of trying, like slicedbread said - extenuating circumstances!

I'm not sure about the stigma associated with the classes, but I imagine it might be difficult to get a decent LOR from a prof that "taught" you and online course, and depending on how the summer class is structured, it might be tough to establish a substantial connection with a prof in a fast-paced summer course.

The online thing I can see, but why would it matter if you took a course over the summer?

I've taken organic 1 and 2, stats, physics 1 and 2, elementary french 2, general chemistry 2, and psychology in the summer. I haven't had any problems with it and I would think adcoms would be slightly impressed I took 14 credits in physics, stats, and French in 12 weeks over the summer because they are all somewhat intense classes with lots of homework.

There is no discernible downside to taking classes over the summer. I did so each summer of my undergrad years and nobody raised an eyebrow over it.

wow...I can't imagine taking genetics or biochem online... good luck with that, on the other hand, I never heard that it looks bad to take science classes over the summer

agreed with dozitgetchahi ....
I took my OCHEM series over the summer...ya 12 weeks total so real rough.. Never was asked about it and didnt seem to matter.

Online varies as many have said. When I applied to DMU I had not taken biochem and it was only offered at my school in the fall. The scenario may have occured where I had an acceptance but no way to take the class. I called DMU and they said they take many online Biochem's as long as its from a recognizable accredited school.

IamAriDO