Online support groups for therapists?

• Thread starter ClinPsycMasters
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

ClinPsycMasters

Anybody know of any good online support groups for therapists? This is a good forum for exchanging info and ideas but I'm looking for a more tightly knit society where you can talk about your day, provide support and sympathy, and let off steam. Professional work can take a toll on the person, and often enough feels like a lonely endeavor given confidentiality issues and just the nature of the work. Other therapists can understand each other and provide support.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen local peer groups pop up for professionals, though they are usually started via word of mouth. I think they are a great idea, though it takes someone to organize it and make it a "regular" event.

They are also some listservs for professionals (through APA divisions and other orgs), though they tend to be more about asking/giving referrals and sharing professional resources. I am a member of a small psychodynamically oriented process/feedback group that mostly looks at transference/counter-transference issues in therapy. The topics are sporadic, though I've found it pretty informative.

For something a little less formal a couple of coworkers and a local pub make for nice
"venting sessions." Just be sure you HIPAA correctly. (Yes HIPAA is now a verb)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. There should be more groups like that. We could learn from each other's experience and how we deal with some difficult situations. Human services, in particular dealing with people who have severe psychiatric problems, has a significant emotional labor component which can lead to exhaustion. I initiated a thread a few weeks ago regarding hobbies. I think that's one way to deal with the exhaustion. Of course, there is also the loneliness factor. For that, I believe, support groups and friendship, specially ones consisting of other therapists, can be very helpful.

This sort of thing seems much more amenable to face-to-face interaction. I would ask around about peer supervision groups - try supervisors, trusted colleagues, and people in your local professional association. You might try starting up a peer supervision group yourself if you can't find something that meets your needs.

That said, I really can't tell if you are looking for peer supervision or something more focused on your personal distress. If you find yourself constantly struggling to manage your stress, consider the possibility that you might benefit from group psychotherapy. Professionals of all stripes are vulnerable to burnout - nurses, teachers, social workers, doctors, etc. - and their issues are probably closer to yours than you think.

Finally, though you may not have immediate control over your practice setting, aim to practice eventually (if not now) in a multi-provider setting where your colleagues become your de facto support group. If day-to-day interactions with your colleagues aren't meeting your needs for support, you might need to think hard about what you need, and why. This should be an ongoing topic of conversation with your clinical supervisor if not already.

For something a little less formal a couple of coworkers and a local pub make for nice
my classmates and i used to call that "group supe" and we met up at the local dive bar. it got me through most of grad school.

Or make sure you FERPA correctly. ;)

The therapists.psychologytoday.com forums may be a good place to start. You do have to pay a $30/month fee though...

I don't see why we can't start one here and just keep it hidden from the public search engines like Google. Sort of like a "moderator" forum which regular posters don't normally see on a forum like this.

It's easy enough to start a free mailing list or discussion group on a number of different websites. I'm happy to host one on our forums (a private, password-protected forum), or setup a more private mailing list at Psych Central if anyone is interested...

John

It's easy enough to start a free mailing list or discussion group on a number of different websites. I'm happy to host one on our forums (a private, password-protected forum), or setup a more private mailing list at Psych Central if anyone is interested...

John

I think that's a great idea! Would everyone who is a member here have access or just those who are actually practicing have access?

I know this is an old thread, but I have had a lot of therapists asking me about online groups designed for therapists. I created a list of several online groups on a website called Group Therapy Central (grouptherapycentral.com/online-groups-for-therapists/). Most of these groups are process-oriented and are training and/or consultation groups, and they are run by colleagues from the American Group Psychotherapy Society...so you can bet they are well run groups.

I know this is an old thread, but I have had a lot of therapists asking me about online groups designed for therapists. I created a list of several online groups on a website called Group Therapy Central (grouptherapycentral.com/online-groups-for-therapists/). Most of these groups are process-oriented and are training and/or consultation groups, and they are run by colleagues from the American Group Psychotherapy Society...so you can bet they are well run groups.
Never heard of it

Do you mean the American Group Psychotherapy Association? Went to one of their conference's once in New Orleans and met Yalom. Was pretty surreal.