Online Undergrad, research options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicx0r

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted on the board until now, but I have been quietly reading through all the posts. :)

I have a question, if anyone has any advice.

I recently returned to school to get a BS in Psychology. (I had a few years towards a biology degree, although my new school tossed half my credits.) The problem is that I am attending school via a distance program so all of my classes are online. (The school is Northwestern State University.) Due to my current IT/telecom job, I just don't have time to attend scheduled classes. I do plan on attending classes for everything after this degree.

So, to get to the point! I realize that if I want to continue on with my Psychology plans, I need to get involved with research. Since my school is so far away, I cannot participate there. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any advice on where I can look for something like this? Or perhaps some other options that will help with making me more appealing to programs when I apply?

I thought about approaching a local university, but I'm not sure how that will pan out.

Thank you,
C

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look at a local university's psychology department, and then email professors whose work looks interesting to you, and ask if you can volunteer in their lab. This is actually a really good time, becuase the school year is just starting up, and labs are probably recruiting again. At my school, we always have a number of undergrads working in various labs, and they get research credit for it. But my lab has taken on people who have already graduated and want more research experience too, so I can't see why we wouldn't take on a student at another school, as long as they seemed responsible.