online word root/medical terminology course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gracietiger

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems that most people have suggested to me that anatomy is not as useful as other upper division bios for preparing for vet school, but that a greek and latin roots or medical terminology course would be very useful. I am wondering if anyone has taken or knows of any online greek/latin root courses??
 
Not entirely sure what you are looking for.....but about 7 years ago I took this medical terminology class on-campus at a community college that is now being offered online from Colorado Community College Online (ccconline.org).
The class to search for is HPR178: Seminar: Medical Terminology.

I took it just for fun at the time being a senior in high school knowing that I wanted to pursue the medical profession and it actually ended up getting me a job as a medical transcriptionist for years...now I bet it comes in handy for vet school.
 
Silly question probably but, would it be worth it to take a medical terminology course? At my university, it's just a general course (not for any certain health field but, probably geared more towards nursing.)


Course Description -

"Required for the BS in health sciences, emphasis in health services administration. Fundamentals of medical etymology and abbreviations as a basis for building a professional vocabulary. Independent study. Fall, spring.
1.000 Credit hours "
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, if you don't need the course credit, I think learning through a medterm book > taking an online course where you have to spend money AND get a book.
Trust me, at my high school we have to take two years of medical terminology and the only way I learned it was through reading the book. The teacher only repeated the info. Also, most of medterm was memorizing word parts, something you definitely don't need a teacher for. Of course, being a Greek Derivatives specialist doesn't hurt either 😀
And books usually come with CD's to do practice quizzes/tests, so that could be an interactive part you would gain through taking a course.
 
I love how I've sort of hijacked this thread for the time being...even if it does cover the same topic 😀

The only thing I'm concerned about is veterinary schools seeing it on my transcript and seeing I took the "extra step" to take a non-required course which would apply to vet school. On a grade topic, if I made an A in it, it would only raise my GPA .001 points....making it not really worth it on that end.
 
drwildlife
IMHO I would say that this would be one of the classes that would just leave a neutral impression to adcoms. If you were looking to go "above and beyond" required course work it would probably be a better value of $$$ if you took an upper level bio... I would say the med term class would just be something that a person would do for fun...and like someone else pointed out, probably even be cheaper to just get the books, like learning a new language. For me it was just kind of luck how it all panned out and ended up giving me job opportunities but if I was at the point I am now or even in the last couple of years with working just on my vet application, I don't think I would have bothered with it.
Just my thoughts......
 
Oh, it's fine! Thoughts are what I'm looking for 🙂 I'd much rather be concentrating on my upper levels I have this coming semester than some course which barely even gives me credit. Thanks.