OnlineMedEd and other resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PianoMedic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post up my reviews of the resources I used for Step 2 CK. What follows is my biased opinion. YMMV, so take what is said below and use your preferred learning style to find the resource(s) that work best for you. UWorld is essentially mandatory, after that it isn't as clear. My opinion is that OME and First Aid for Step 2 CK are the two best other resources out there. Warning: Massive wall of text incoming.

OnlineMedEd
I maintain that buying into Dr. Williams' system may have been the best thing I did for my medical career. He explains things extremely well and his algorithms are spot on. CK asks lots of questions that have you come in during a workup, so just knowing "best test" or "first test" isn't always enough. You need to know the entire workup start to finish. OME does that better than anyone.

For the paid resources, I found the QuickTables to be the best value and the most useful. If you are going to use OME, buy the QuickTables. They're a summary of the notes and are handy to take notes in while you watch videos. I liked the Qbank, but these are questions to be used right after you watch the material. If you try to use it like a true Qbank making blocks and then answering questions, it would be the toughest Qbank out there. The questions are difficult but are meant to reinforce the knowledge and encourage retention. The Flashback cards were nice since they came back up 2 days later (very handy with the app) but I didn't find the quality anything to write home about. The notes helped flesh out the lectures more and are meant as pre-reading. They're pretty good, but not completely necessary.

Overall, I thought OME was well worth the money I spent on it. I appreciate what Dr. Williams is doing for medical education and would rather give him my money than Kaplan or some other company. If you're strapped for cash, I would just buy the QuickTables. Use this throughout third year with UWorld and you should rock your shelf exams/COMATs.

Sidenote: OME agrees pretty well with FA for Step 2. UW sometimes has some slight differences from them. I annotated what UW said next to what OME/FA had just so I knew it both ways. From what I remember, OME tended to be a bit more accurate for the actual exam but it is tough to say for certain as that was 4 weeks ago now.

First Aid for Step 2 CK
This gets very little love, but I found it very useful. I wish I had bought it earlier. Never made it all the way through, but I definitely wish I had been able to do that. VERY good complement to OME. It is more wordy and more dense than Step Up to Step 2 CK or Master the Boards. If you look back at First Aid for Step 1 vs Step Up to Step 1, First Aid is far more dense. The big difference with FA Step 2 is that they use more complete sentences. The chaff is still in there and hasn't been removed yet. I had trouble reading FA Step 1 (and actually didn't read it cover to cover) so I found this very nice and much easier to read than FA Step 1. Organization isn't perfect but it's decent (sometimes tables about a disease will be a page or two after the disease is covered in text). The organization part I liked was that they followed the general formula that OME also follows: Pathophys of disease, how the patient presents, diagnostic workup, finish with treatment. Short, sweet, to the point, and gives you what you need to know without lots of excess information. I know that I got several questions right because I supplemented OME with FA for Step 2.

UWorld
Use it. Learn from it. Love it. I only did one pass as I only finished 1/3 or so prior to buckling down my last clerkship before Step 2 and then dedicated. Especially if you will only get one pass in, get the most out of every question. Really understand the concepts they lay out.

Master the Boards
Not enough information. If you use OME, there is a lot of conflicting information, especially with MTB. I didn't find the best test and first test very useful from here. It is easier to read than FA for Step 2, but I didn't think that made MTB better. They had a couple good chapters that weren't in other resources (the radiology chapter comes to mind), but these are far from necessary.

Step Up to Step 2 CK
I didn't like the layout. After having the structure of OME, seeing the different lab tests strung out everywhere with treatments in weird places was off-putting for me. Some people may like it. Cannot comment on the content at all as I glanced through it briefly.

Step Up to Medicine
Better than Step Up to Step 2. I used it here and there for some other reading on weak areas (nephrology especially), but I think I sometimes would have been better served looking back in First Aid for Step 1 and Pathoma. I started doing that later in dedicated and virtually stopped using this resource. It is very dense, but has lots of good information. Would be difficult to read for the first time during dedicated, but a second pass during dedicated seems reasonable.

Pestana's Surgery Notes
I didn't end up using these as I felt very solid on surgery, but these were money for my COMAT. This plus OME and UW should easily get you honors there. It's also short enough that if you need a quick refresher for CK you should be able to do it in a day. Easy to read, information dense, very helpful. Use it for surgery at the very least.

Case Files (don't use to study for CK with these)
For most of my clerkships, I used Case Files if I thought I needed a supplement or if there wasn't any section in UW/OME (looking at you EM and FM). Also used it on OB/GYN as I'm awful at that. I appreciate case based learning, and loved that they had questions after each case to reinforce what you read. You also could just answer the first few questions and the main learning points and skip the in depth narrative if you're in a rush or if you know a topic quite well. They don't always hit every topic needed for the shelf/COMAT but I think that would be tough to do in one book. With OME and UW as supplement to Case Files, shelves/COMATs should be a breeze or at least very manageable. Too long for CK study, don't use them for that.

I prefer case files obviously, but any book series works well as a supplement as needed. Find one you like and try to stick with it. After using it for FM and OB/GYN, I could really utilize it well for EM, allowing a very high COMAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Thanks for taking the time to write your reviews. If you don't mind me asking, what was your study schedule like during dedicated?

Chaotic. My dedicated started about 5 weeks or so before my exam. I say I had about 2 weeks as I had two weeks of vacation as dedicated, then had to start my fourth year rotations, taking step 2 three weeks into fourth year. During those two weeks the schedule was very structured and I knocked out a ton of material:

One day a week I did a practice test, UWSA 1 then NBME 7. The other six days I started off by doing 2 block of UW, taking a five to ten minute break, then doing 2 more blocks. Spent the rest of the day reviewing those blocks and going through the OME videos at 1.5x speed if it was a weak area, or 2.0x if I knew the material well. I didn't get First Aid for Step 2 CK until after I finished these two weeks and really wish I'd had it. I don't think it would have changed my score as I look back, but I may have felt more comfortable during the test.

During the three weeks of rotations, I ended up being on a much more time and labor intensive rotation than expected. I had been hoping to do 2-4 blocks per day. I ended up being lucky to get 1 in per day. Ended up finishing UW in the weekend before I took CK, then by some miracle my preceptor took pity on me and allowed me a little time to study during the last two days before step 2. Was able to squeeze out UWSA 2 one day and the free 120 questions the other day. Read First Aid for Step 2 CK every now and then on the wards while I was hanging around waiting in our minimal downtime. Ended up finishing over half of it within about a week and a half as I crammed a ton over that last weekend before as well.

If I were to go back and redo dedicated, I likely wouldn't have spent the time on the entire rewatch of OME. Better way would have been to go over my weak areas only and skip the rest. I also would have preferred to not start up a rotation then take the exam partway through. I really think three weeks would have been enough dedicated time, and I likely got about three weeks of study time between my 2 actual weeks off and the intermittent studying I could do on rotation. Let me know if you have further questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow yeah that does sound chaotic/not ideal but congrats on pulling through it. I guess UW is the bible and everything else is just icing on the cake. I'll try to take your advice and just knock out OME videos I'm weak on. Time is definitely going to be at a premium. Thanks for your tips and the breakdown!

Members don't see this ad :)
@PianoMedic

You are correct that FA for CK does not get enough credit in this forum... I decided to use for my ObGyn shelf along with Uworld... I have not gotten my score yet, but I think it will be my highest score out of the shelf exams...

Just started studying for step2 and I think I will use it as my main textbook... The other resources I will use are of course Uworld, OME and SUTM... Goal is 240+ to make up for my lackluster in step1...

@PianoMedic

You are correct that FA for CK does not get enough credit in this forum... I decided to use for my ObGyn shelf along with Uworld... I have not gotten my score yet, but I think it will be my highest score out of the shelf exams...

Just started studying for step2 and I think I will use it as my main textbook... The other resources I will use are of course Uworld, OME and SUTM... Goal is 240+ to make up for my lackluster in step1...
Have you used SUTM before? If I were going to start a new book, I'd make it first aid, especially since you mention OME and they pair well together in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Have you used SUTM before? If I were going to start a new book, I'd make it first aid, especially since you mention OME and they pair well together in my opinion.

Never used SUTM before... I just purchased to book. I could already sense it's probably money wasted. I will definitely use FA.

I wouldn't say it's wasted. It's a decent reference if something isn't making sense or you need more info on a topic, but the organization is very different from OME and First Aid. And it is quite dense. I definitely wouldn't use it as a primary study resource during dedicated though...

I wouldn't say it's wasted. It's a decent reference if something isn't making sense or you need more info on a topic, but the organization is very different from OME and First Aid. And it is quite dense. I definitely wouldn't use it as a primary study resource during dedicated though...

Hi PianoMedic. I really appreciate all your STEP 2 CK posts! It's been really helpful. I am almost convinced to use Online Med Ed, however I am still on the fence. I am debating whether to use OnlineMed Ed vs. DIT for my Step 2 CK prep. I have 'unfortunately' already purchased DIT. I liked the active learning process with DIT and the pre and post questions. With the Online Med Ed videos, it seems to me a bit more passive, with you watching the lectures, however I do prefer how he organizes the concepts and actually teaches in his videos. So my question is, do you think the 'active' aspect of DIT with all the pre-post questions should make me stick with DIT OR should I just move on to OnlineMed Ed right away (and purchase the QuickTables and Full package)?

I have already done a first pass in U World. Currently on my second pass and getting > 80 to 85%. I need a video series to help me consolidate/review material.

Hi PianoMedic. I really appreciate all your STEP 2 CK posts! It's been really helpful. I am almost convinced to use Online Med Ed, however I am still on the fence. I am debating whether to use OnlineMed Ed vs. DIT for my Step 2 CK prep. I have 'unfortunately' already purchased DIT. I liked the active learning process with DIT and the pre and post questions. With the Online Med Ed videos, it seems to me a bit more passive, with you watching the lectures, however I do prefer how he organizes the concepts and actually teaches in his videos. So my question is, do you think the 'active' aspect of DIT with all the pre-post questions should make me stick with DIT OR should I just move on to OnlineMed Ed right away (and purchase the QuickTables and Full package)?

I have already done a first pass in U World. Currently on my second pass and getting > 80 to 85%. I need a video series to help me consolidate/review material.
My thought is 80+% first pass of UW means DIT won't do much for you. It will definitely solidify the must know facts, but you likely won't gain much beyond that. Their philosophy is to take someone at the borderline of passing and get them a solid pass on the test. It isnt necessarily to take someone likely to pass and drastically increase their score. I don't know what your current time line is. I wouldn't try to do OME with less than 8 weeks to the test. Too much material to cover. I agree with the passiveness if not taking notes. If you take notes in the quicktables book, especially drawing out the algorithms which are not in the book, it becomes more active. In addition, you can tailor some of your UW blocks after you watch his videos to make things more active. I agree about DIT though, I found the pre and post tests helpful. I just don't see it adding much for you at this point.

Just want to ask Onlinemeded + MTB2/3 + Uworld would lead to success??/ any thoughts?

It would, but that would be in spite of MTB 2/3, not because of MTB. I didn’t find that MTB added anything to my knowledge base and the time I took reading it took away from other resources I would have rather used. I think First Aid for 2CK is a better pairing with OME as the layout is similar and FA expands a bit on some of what OME teaches. All of the resources have slight variations. I listed out the different variations in my books as I encountered them, but primarily thought UW and OME were likely the most accurate for the boards.

Just want to ask Onlinemeded + MTB2/3 + Uworld would lead to success??/ any thoughts?

It led to success for me (although I used Step Up to Medicine instead of the MTB medicine section), but like @PianoMedic said, I give very little credit of that to Master the Boards. Not so much because it was inaccurate, but because it was really bare bones. My MTB margins are filled with info from OnlineMedEd on subjects that was not even mentioned in the book, like the gynecological cancers. Going through Step Up to Medicine again was really helpful, but also a big time suck.

100% recommend OnlineMedEd, 100% recommend UWorld, don't recommend MTB except for that at least its wide margins leave room to literally fill in the blanks. Obviously don't have anything to compare it too because by the time I realized I disliked MTB it was to late to switch, so I can't tell you if Step Up to CK or First Aid for CK are different or better.

It would, but that would be in spite of MTB 2/3, not because of MTB. I didn’t find that MTB added anything to my knowledge base and the time I took reading it took away from other resources I would have rather used. I think First Aid for 2CK is a better pairing with OME as the layout is similar and FA expands a bit on some of what OME teaches. All of the resources have slight variations. I listed out the different variations in my books as I encountered them, but primarily thought UW and OME were likely the most accurate for the boards.

Thank you for the Reply... On a side note, I dont have the luxury to get FA CK, since I already have both MTB 2/3, this was due to me buying the books in a spree while buying books for prep for Step 1 lol

It led to success for me (although I used Step Up to Medicine instead of the MTB medicine section), but like @PianoMedic said, I give very little credit of that to Master the Boards. Not so much because it was inaccurate, but because it was really bare bones. My MTB margins are filled with info from OnlineMedEd on subjects that was not even mentioned in the book, like the gynecological cancers. Going through Step Up to Medicine again was really helpful, but also a big time suck.

100% recommend OnlineMedEd, 100% recommend UWorld, don't recommend MTB except for that at least its wide margins leave room to literally fill in the blanks. Obviously don't have anything to compare it too because by the time I realized I disliked MTB it was to late to switch, so I can't tell you if Step Up to CK or First Aid for CK are different or better.

thanks. Almost done with Onlinemeded.. I will see then how this goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a new coverage at eMaxhealth from Dr. Williams in which he gives new tips not only to med students, but also those aspiring to be Youtubers teaching on certain subjects. Interesting read.

Which book would you recommend then? Or would you just stick with watching the OME videos? (Because I am looking for an additional resource besides the qbanks)

OnlineMedEd QuickTables to take notes in and then review on the wards. Best book to have imo. Get the algorithms written in there (I used sticky notes to do this) and you have it all while you’re seeing patients or in some downtime waiting to round. Focus on that and UW primarily. If you need more info, FA for 2 CK if you want to flesh out more of the same info as OME in a different way, MTB 2/3 if you prefer a very minimalistic (like enough to pass if you memorized the book, not much more) viewpoint, Step Up to Medicine if you want a lot of detail. Don’t start any of these in dedicated, you won’t get through them. You want to do one pass during rotations and one pass during dedicated. Good luck!

I'd really appreciate any advice on my plan.. found this to be the most reliable OME thread..

I was thinking of:
OME videos + OME notes + quicktables (~$120) which I don't think is terrible
I would of course complement this with UWorld and I've been making the UWorld flashcard tables/images as I've been going along

I'm not really planning on using any other resources unless I need to - I have MTB and FA2 sitting on my shelf :(( But at this point I don't feel like I'm gonna have enough time plus I just feel OME + UWorld is enough.

Taking my exam on Aug 24. My dedicated starts Jul 27 so its about ~4 weeks. I'm planning on starting studying from now - I'm still on my Peds rotation and have got a couple weeks left.

My plan:
2 hours of OME videos per day
1 hour of Sketchy per day (Micro and Pharm - I think it'll be worth this it's only an hour a day and pics memories should come back quickly)
Finish Uworld First pass
I should done with all this by July 10

July 10 to Aug 24 (~6weeks) - My goal is to finish a second round of UWorld, review UWorld flashcards and review QuickTables (review OME videos/notes, Sketchy pics if needed)
During the month of July, I'll be doing an ophtho (not the most useful) away elective so I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time to get a lot done

Any advice/comments is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the helpful info on this thread.
However , I need some advice.
I have an active OME subscription, I also have all the OME notes (printed them) + QuickTables + the flashback flashcards.. HOWEVER, I have a problem with the videos , they're indeed great, but I waste a lot of time on them, it's an issue I have, maybe an ocd thing, so I waste hours on one video. that's why I'm planning on skipping the videos for now.

- Does anybody think that OME notes & Quicktables (without videos) + UWORLD would be enough ? I'm not aiming for a high grade , just to pass the exam in order to get my license and enough foundation to kick-start my career.
I have ~ 3 months of free time to study, I'm not so fast though, and I need a lot of refreshment on info as I wasn't at my best in med school .. So I'm planning on reading through OME subjects > doing their question > then doing that subject in UWORLD in tutor mode all the while I'm taking notes in the quicktables.. what do you think ?

thanks for the helpful info on this thread.
Not sure why its taking you hours on the videos, you are supposed to watch them once on regular speed and then again at 1.5 x if you need to review a topic and just read the notes or add anything missing in the notes from the videos but it's not much so it shouldn't take you that long. I can tell you the flashback flashcards aren't useful. The notes should be enough to help you answer the OME questions and build a foundation for Uworld, you don't necessarily need to watch the videos, most people prefer listening than passively reading. Just make sure to study from Uworld as that's the highest yield information along with OME. If you are just trying to pass then you should be ok.

Not sure why its taking you hours on the videos, you are supposed to watch them once on regular speed and then again at 1.5 x if you need to review a topic and just read the notes or add anything missing in the notes from the videos but it's not much so it shouldn't take you that long. I can tell you the flashback flashcards aren't useful. The notes should be enough to help you answer the OME questions and build a foundation for Uworld, you don't necessarily need to watch the videos, most people prefer listening than passively reading. Just make sure to study from Uworld as that's the highest yield information along with OME. If you are just trying to pass then you should be ok.
Thank you very much
Yeah, the videos should take little time, but unfortunately it's a problem I have, that I keep rewinding and I end up with it taking too much time.
I even rewind while watching movies and shows:bang: , it's frustrating and something I'm working on to resolve, however, time is finite , and I can't deal with that right now.. and anyway I'll definitely be back to OME again after I pass the exam and will watch the videos then before I start my intern year.
Again, thank you

The notes i hav is 318 pages. It says 400+ pages on the website.
If u have printed out notes recently can u tell me how many pages are there in total?????

Are those the recent edition notes?
I guess soo.. the first time I subscribed was in july 2017, and that's when I downloaded them and printed them. I keep following the updates section , and AFAIK only the Hypertension lecture got revamped with the latest recommendations .

I guess soo.. the first time I subscribed was in july 2017, and that's when I downloaded them and printed them. I keep following the updates section , and AFAIK only the Hypertension lecture got revamped with the latest recommendations .
Oh...cool...thanks a lot!☺️