ONLY heard back from top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is the perfect example of why pre-meds, scientists, and physicians sometimes get a bad rep for being out of touch with reality and socially awkward. I just can't believe this is real...

That's so creepy! I only didn't hear from top ten schools! Maybe it's a conspiracy?

Yeah I think it does. And isn't that the general consensus, anyway?

is it? i haven't seen it discussed but it certainly makes sense. i wonder if letters of interest can make up for this "reverse discrimination"? like, if you had great stats but wanted to attend a certain school for location or other random reasons.

i think i have been subject to this sort of thing from a few of my schools (i had lots of safeties) because my mcat is great, i went to a great undergrad, but my gpa is average. so for the low tier schools its like, "she will probably go somewhere else but even if she does come here, she's not that good for our numbers"

is it? i haven't seen it discussed but it certainly makes sense. i wonder if letters of interest can make up for this "reverse discrimination"? like, if you had great stats but wanted to attend a certain school for location or other random reasons.

i think i have been subject to this sort of thing from a few of my schools (i had lots of safeties) because my mcat is great, i went to a great undergrad, but my gpa is average. so for the low tier schools its like, "she will probably go somewhere else but even if she does come here, she's not that good for our numbers"

This is a valid. I'd expect a top applicant would need to demonstrate a particular connection to a low or possibly even mid tier school to show them that they aren't wasting an interview slot on an eventual withdrawal.

A 3.8-4.0 GPA is not average.

So much humble brag. Another vote for 0/10. Congrats on doing so well OP, but seeking out praise from strangers on the internet is pretty ridiculous.

VhbwAAF.png

OP, you open a thread about how the "ONLY" places you got invites were a handful of top 10 schools, and then immediately post in another thread that
I also interviewed at 20+ schools.

???

Man, you ARE a terrible troll

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you open a thread about how the "ONLY" places you got invites were a handful of top 10 schools, and then immediately post in another thread that

???

:laugh:

???

Oh snap, he's been outed.

???

OMG, I just noticed that. I got trolled..

tumblr_mem0x1ECDq1rmugu7o1_400.gif

???

lolol owned.

Woah. This thread has derailed quite a bit.

I thought the OP's initial question was actually quite interesting. I actually know a couple of friends from Texas that are in the same position as the OP and wonder why they didn't earn interviews at schools they had considered safeties (some of the Texas state schools). They actually had legitimate reasons for choosing those schools too (location, family, etc.) but never got called back. Not to say anyone's secondaries are bad, but for the lower tiered schools, I think the "Why do you want to come to ____ SoM" becomes more and more important. If you have high stats, the obvious (and underlying) response is "Because I just want to get into med school and my stats says it's possible at yours!" but there's obviously more to it than that. Considering that I'm not on the AdCom for any school, I don't know how they sift through this, but I'm sure that they screen heavily for "the fit". For the higher tier schools, they already know why you want to go there. In fact, some of them don't even ask you why because they already know. I think, stats are much more important here than the "why us?" question.