ONLY heard back from top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not complaining or whatever, but this seemed a little strange to me. I applied to some 30 medical schools (safeties, reaches, and matches) and I only got interviews and/or acceptances from the likes of Penn, Hopkins, WashU, UCSF, UCSD and UW. I have no research experience and come from a no-name state school... Has anyone else experienced this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely not complaining or whatever, but this seemed a little strange to me. I applied to some 30 medical schools (safeties, reaches, and matches) and I only got interviews and/or acceptances from the likes of Penn, Hopkins, WashU, UCSF, UCSD and UW. I have no research experience and come from a no-name state school... Has anyone else experienced this?

What are your stats, EC's and general background?

0/10 humble brag.

Members don't see this ad :)

Boo-hoo. Consider yourself lucky.

Yeah bro, I got a 28 on my MCAT and my GPA is 3.1, but I only got into Hopkins... is that weird? Anybody else? No?

I knew I was gonna get flamed by some of the SDN haters. No but seriously though, everyone told me to only apply to one or two reach schools and other than that just mid/lower tier. I am really glad I didn't listen... If I did I wouldn't have gotten into med school.

Congratulations. :thumbup:

But you should have known that posting such a content-less thread would not have been met with the approval of the members of this illustrious forum.

I knew I was gonna get flamed by some of the SDN haters. No but seriously though, everyone told me to only apply to one or two reach schools and other than that just mid/lower tier. I am really glad I didn't listen... If I did I wouldn't have gotten into med school.

No, you would have gotten into one or two schools, so you would have gotten into med school.

I didn't think you were going to post again. Bravo

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you would have gotten into one or two schools, so you would have gotten into med school.
Nope, the ones I applied to originally were not the ones I got into. I ran into some extra money over the summer and decided to apply to a bunch of reaches just for kicks. Probably the best decision I ever made. Boom. Take that, premed advisor who said not to.

Okayyy congrats!!! Your success story could inspire others.

Nope, the ones I applied to originally were not the ones I got into. I ran into some extra money over the summer and decided to apply to a bunch of reaches just for kicks. Probably the best decision I ever made. Boom. Take that, premed advisor who said not to.

Until these top reach schools find out that you're shaming their name and representing them wrongly and rescind your application over email. :naughty:

Until these top reach schools find out that you're shaming their name and representing them wrongly and rescind your application over email. :naughty:
Wait seriously???? How would they know?? Also how is this misrepresenting them??? I don't know if you're joking or not, but it's not funny, man. I'm freaking out now.

What's your stats?

My life was better before I opened this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait seriously???? How would they know?? Also how is this misrepresenting them??? I don't know if you're joking or not, but it's not funny, man. I'm freaking out now.

No, chill and accept JH already.

twfQRo8.jpg

My life was better before I opened this thread.

+1 lol

And OP you can't honestly just say "I have pretty good stats" and think we'll be able to give you some eye opening response on how you got into top schools. There was obviously something on your application that struck them so unless you're going to lay out your entire application for us then nobody can answer your question here. Hence, why people are annoyed and this thread is a complete waste of time.

+1 lol

And OP you can't honestly just say "I have pretty good stats" and think we'll be able to give you some eye opening response on how you got into top schools. There was obviously something on your application that struck them so unless you're going to lay out your entire application for us then nobody can answer your question here. Hence, why people are annoyed and this thread is a complete waste of time.

OP is just pulling our foot.

I would like to officially apologize to any medical admissions officers from the fine medical schools which I have mentioned above who may read this thread. I am not attempting to misrepresent your institution in any way, shape, or form. I am tremendously grateful for the opportunity which your institutions have granted me to enter the medical profession.

You're a really bad troll.

False. In OP's defense, 38-40 and 3.8-4.0 are not crazy high. However, if he mentioned 41-45 and 4.1-4.5, then you have a point.

I would like to officially apologize to any medical admissions officers from the fine medical schools which I have mentioned above who may read this thread. I am not attempting to misrepresent your institution in any way, shape, or form. I am tremendously grateful for the opportunity which your institutions have granted me to enter the medical profession.

:eyebrow:

You have to post your name and AMCAS ID so they know who you are. :naughty:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

False. In OP's defense, 38-40 and 3.8-4.0 are not crazy high. However, if he mentioned 41-45 and 4.1-4.5, then you have a point.

:eyebrow:
A poster above mentioned the possibility of a medical school taking away my acceptance due to misrepresentation in this post. I don't want to take any risks.

Oh and I saw a post by LizzyM recently saying a 38+ MCAT wasn't that impressive and didn't make an applicant special.

:rofl:

A poster above mentioned the possibility of a medical school taking away my acceptance due to misrepresentation in this post. I don't want to take any risks.

Oh and I saw a post by LizzyM recently saying a 38+ MCAT wasn't that impressive and didn't make an applicant special.

I said Chill, OP.

Highly doubt you actually read that.

I see where LizzyM says 3.4/38 isn't that special. I don't see where LizzyM says a 38 isn't impressive.

A short story first: I come from a family that has never been financially stable. Dad was always paying off credit cards with other credit cards and complaining we had no money. I want to end that cycle and be the first one to be free of that burden. I have already racked up a great deal of under-grad and grad loans, and it honestly terrifies me to think about.

Now, I'm not saying that receiving a major scholarship is the only way I'll go to med school, but if a school offers me a scholarship, there's no way in hell I'd turn it down.

A little more about me:

MCAT: 38 (12/11/15) (I studied my balls off for this test. Does it show?)

Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major: Biology (with 2 minors)

Graduate GPA: 3.8
Major: Biology (MS)

EC's and stuff:
-Shadowed a couple physicians
-Name is on (or will soon be on) a couple research papers
-Standard charity-type work

Residency:
-I'm in a state with 1 med school. But I have no particular attachment to the place, and will go to whichever school offers me the best scholarship (If I'm offered a full-ride, I'd pack my bags tomorrow).

Some of those schools don't have a lot of money to throw around so although they might like to have you there, they aren't in a position to give you a discount, never mind a free ride.

In a two year period, there were over 1,600 matriculants with MCAT of 39 or higher and GPA of 3.4 or higher. Not exactly as rare as hen's teeth. If you want to drop down to MCAT 36+, you can triple that number or more. Your MCAT/GPA combo is just not that special unless you bring something very unusual to theh table (of those 1600+ only 68 were URM).

Well, given this information, is it possible that I was discriminated against by "lower ranked" schools because of my stats?

I've heard that sometimes a lower ranked school will choose not accept an extremely competitive applicant, because they don't think said applicant will actually matriculate to their school if they're accepted, because they likely will have multiple acceptances from better schools. That's the only reason I can think of off the top of my head.

:laugh:

To think, if this dude really got into these med schools, he'll be a top pedigree physician.

I've heard that sometimes a lower ranked school will choose not accept an extremely competitive applicant, because they don't think said applicant will actually matriculate to their school if they're accepted, because they likely will have multiple acceptances from better schools. That's the only reason I can think of off the top of my head.

yeah that is the whole point of this thread - does this happen? unfortunately, this thread turned into typical sdn garbage very quickly.

i, for one, would like to know if this sort of thing happens often. I have gotten interviews only at schools at the middle or top of my list. It certainly makes sense that many of the typical safety schools would have to make an effort to keep their number of interviews down.

yeah that is the whole point of this thread - does this happen? unfortunately, this thread turned into typical sdn garbage very quickly.

i, for one, would like to know if this sort of thing happens often. I have gotten interviews only at schools at the middle or top of my list. It certainly makes sense that many of the typical safety schools would have to make an effort to keep their number of interviews down.
Yeah I think it does. And isn't that the general consensus, anyway?

Yield protection, it is real.