Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So I've graduated with a Management degree and its not looking good, I've only managed a 2.65GPA. That's the bad news, the good news is I have tons of volunteer and community services hours plus shadowing and I've already taken Chem I and Chem II and pulled a 'B' in both. I'm confident that I can get a pretty high sGPA. But I'll be taking them at a community college near me, I'm also planning on taking the MCAT early and hopefully I can get a pretty high score that will overshadow my poor GPA when I apply in Fall '16

What do you guys think? I have a snowballs chance in hell to get into an American medical school, but Caribbean places are easier to get into and they seem to like Canadians (I'm a citizen) plus Poland and Russia seem welcoming.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you want to practice medicine in the US, you need to attend a US med school.

In a few years, it's going to be near impossible for an IMG to get a residency in the US. haven't a clue about Canada.

Here's a more credible way of doing things:

First, retake any F/D/C science coursework.
Take any pre-reqs and get A's, not Bs. That's not going to cut it.

Do well on MCAT.

Apply to any of the 14 DO schools that accept Canadians, like MSU.

Always have Plan B

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure you should pursue medicine, tbh. A 2.65 is a issue even for the Caribbean; check out their forum if you wish.

Reactions: Mad Jack and Goro
OP
roromush
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Thanks for replying Goro, I was under the impression that DO schools look for applicants with atleast a 3.0GPA on top of that international seats are limited

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
So I've graduated with a Management degree and its not looking good, I've only managed a 2.65GPA. That's the bad news, the good news is I have tons of volunteer and community services hours plus shadowing and I've already taken Chem I and Chem II and pulled a 'B' in both. I'm confident that I can get a pretty high sGPA. But I'll be taking them at a community college near me, I'm also planning on taking the MCAT early and hopefully I can get a pretty high score that will overshadow my poor GPA when I apply in Fall '16

What do you guys think? I have a snowballs chance in hell to get into an American medical school, but Caribbean places are easier to get into and they seem to like Canadians (I'm a citizen) plus Poland and Russia seem welcoming.
I don't think I'd want to be a westerner living in Russia. Not now, probably not for the next decade...

also if you want to know what happens to Americans/westerners living in places that become suddenly hostile towards westerners, google the Iranian hostage crisis

OP
roromush
Aug 7, 2015
Status
I'm not sure you should pursue medicine, tbh. A 2.65 is a issue even for the Caribbean; check out their forum if you wish.
It is very low I agree, but I'm hoping that my sGPA will be significantly higher and alongside a solid MCAT it might push me over the edge

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It is very low I agree, but I'm hoping that my sGPA will be significantly higher and alongside a solid MCAT it might push me over the edge
Don't go to the Caribbean or any other country if you want to practice in the US. Follow Goro's route.

Reactions: UNMedGa and Goro
OP
roromush
Aug 7, 2015
Status
As someone who grew up close to Russia: that's not a place you wanna go to :eek:

Don't even come close to it!

Surprised to hear bad things about Russia, I have been told that UK residents travel to Poland and Russian when they are unable to get into UK med schools

NewHorizons

2+ Year Member
May 20, 2015

In a few years, it's going to be near impossible for an IMG to get a residency in the US. haven't a clue about Canada.

Do well on MCAT.

Always have Plan B
Canada's matching for IMG through CaRMS is even worse, this last year's match was around 20-24% for all IMGs... most Canadians in the Caribbean go to the US and then hope to come back.

Reactions: Mad Jack and Goro

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Surprised to hear bad things about Russia, I have been told that UK residents travel to Poland and Russian when they are unable to get into UK med schools
The Russian medical degree is essentially useless even when practicing in Russia. Russian doctors don't get paid much, so they quickly emigrate into the US/UK to be licensed and practice there (or at least do cool medical research).

Now regarding your original post:

1. You're Canadian, which makes you international for many US medical schools, although you have a good chance in getting into around 60 of them. Some schools may treat Canadians as American applicants, but I don't know what exactly.

2. Your cGPA is way too low and you need to do essentially a grade overhaul to be remotely competitive.

3. Getting Bs in sciences/prereqs isn't a good thing. You need to ace them.

4. You can't ensure a high MCAT score given your poor academic background. And even a miraculous 40+/523+ score can't compensate a very low GPA.

5. Never consider the Caribbean for medical school. At all. It's terrible and the schools are making money scamming desperate/shut out applicants.

You can get into a US DO school but it requires years long effort to completely reinvent yourself. If you're motivated, you can succeed. Otherwise, you should look for alternative careers.

If I'm understanding correctly, OP's low GPA is due mostly to bad grades in nonscience courses (she's confident she can have a high sGPA meaning she hasn't taken many science courses yet), which indicates she needs to retake her entire management coursework for the retake policy to work.

Reactions: Gurby

NewHorizons

2+ Year Member
May 20, 2015

I'm confused with your logic.... your GPA you know is holding you back... when did you decide on doing medicine? If you did make the decision what was your motivation to stick with management? If you're at a Canadian school the only way to fix your GPA is to just do another undergrad.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm confused with your logic.... your GPA you know is holding you back... when did you decide on doing medicine? If you did make the decision what was your motivation to stick with management? If you're at a Canadian school the only way to fix your GPA is to just do another undergrad.
It sounds like he's studying in the US but is also a Canadian citizen. I've never heard of Russia or Poland being good places to go if you want to study internationally, but there's some potential for Ireland being a better option if you want to practice in Canada (maritime connection). I know Ireland is easier to get into, but I don't know how easy, a 2.65 is pretty low. I think it's one of the most popular places for Canadians after the Caribbean with the intention of practicing in the US. But of course, unless you can get decent grades in science courses you probably won't survive med school anywhere.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Agreed. If OP is really interested about healthcare, she should pursue an MBA/MHA and work in healthcare management. It's an important and lucrative field, and it's something OP may enjoy.

NewHorizons

2+ Year Member
May 20, 2015
It sounds like he's studying in the US but is also a Canadian citizen. I've never heard of Russia or Poland being good places to go if you want to study internationally, but there's some potential for Ireland being a better option if you want to practice in Canada (maritime connection). I know Ireland is easier to get into, but I don't know how easy, a 2.65 is pretty low. I think it's one of the most popular places for Canadians after the Caribbean with the intention of practicing in the US. But of course, unless you can get decent grades in science courses you probably won't survive med school anywhere.
Some of my public health colleagues came from Russian med schools... none of them had anything good to say. Purely anecdotal but the point is with a 2.65 GPA anywhere you don't look like you can succeed in med school, regardless of where you go.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
This is exactly what the Carib diploma mills are literally banking on. One year of failing, and boot, out he goes. Then, "next sucker....um, we mean, student!"

Some of my public health colleagues came from Russian med schools... none of them had anything good to say. Purely anecdotal but the point is with a 2.65 GPA anywhere you don't look like you can succeed in med school, regardless of where you go.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Maybe management really wasn't his thing and he's actually a physiology wiz :)

NewHorizons

2+ Year Member
May 20, 2015
This is exactly what the Carib diploma mills are literally banking on. One year of failing, and boot, out he goes. Then, "next sucker....um, we mean, student!"
Eh as cynical as that sounds, my point was more than even though there is a chance the OP can break the mold, banking on an outlier is never a good strategy.

So many people in the world think they can be the exception... news flash not everyone can.

What I'm interested in is the OP's response. He still has not provided anything substantial and it's becoming more concerning that he's not exactly going into med for appropriate reasons.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
yup...that's why lotteries exist. A friend of mine once described them as "a fool tax". OP is, alas, displaying signs of wishful thinking, another trait the Carib diploma mills prey upon.

Eh as cynical as that sounds, my point was more than even though there is a chance the OP can break the mold, banking on an outlier is never a good strategy.

So many people in the world think they can be the exception... news flash not everyone can.

What I'm interested in is the OP's response. He still has not provided anything substantial and it's becoming more concerning that he's not exactly going into med for appropriate reasons.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
yup...that's why lotteries exist. A friend of mine once described them as "a fool tax". OP is, alas, displaying signs of wishful thinking, another trait the Carib diploma mills prey upon.
Isn't it more an issue of going in knowing how the system works than one of luck? I imagine the people who make it through are strong students who were kept out of US schools because of IAs or a couple years of failing courses before getting As. The ones who don't are likely the people who go to the Caribbean because they tried their hardest and couldn't get the stats for US schools, not realizing that if you're not capable of a decent GPA and MCAT score you're not capable of making it through med school.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
I seriously doubt you will be any where near ready to apply next cycle. Do not even consider taking the MCAT until you finish your science prerequisite. You need the best score possible on the first try and attempting the test before you have been exposed to the material would be setting yourself up for failure.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Could be. Not everyone is ready for college at age 18.

Isn't it more an issue of going in knowing how the system works than one of luck? I imagine the people who make it through are strong students who were kept out of US schools because of IAs or a couple years of failing courses before getting As. The ones who don't are likely the people who go to the Caribbean because they tried their hardest and couldn't get the stats for US schools, not realizing that if you're not capable of a decent GPA and MCAT score you're not capable of making it through med school.

Reactions: Gurby

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Many of the Polish and Russian medical schools are analogous to the Caribbean medical schools . That is, they are setup as for-profit businesses to attract less qualified and/or Western Europeans rejected from medical school's in their home countries. Interestingly, while many of the established standing university medical schools are on the California Medical Board's approved list for post-graduate training, their associated English-language programs are specifically banned on the list.
(see http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Medical_Schools/Schools_Recognized.aspx)

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
As someone who grew up close to Russia: that's not a place you wanna go to :eek:

Don't even come close to it!
Agreed. I spend a couple years in eastern/central Europe, and those a) aren't healthcare systems you likely want to train in and b) very much hamper your chances of practicing in the U.S.

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician

Do well on MCAT.

Always have Plan B
Canada is still LCME, so there's that.

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Poland would at least allow you to theoretically pick up some Polish language skills, which would be insanely useful where I work.

If not for the whole needing a medical education, Poland would be a great idea.

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
It's the visa issue for employment, though.
yeah... though theoretically they'd be the last ones squeezed.

I have a completely totally unrealistic fantasy that one day the graduate medical education and board systems would merge too, but sadly I know that would never happen. I'd kill to live in Vancover and not have to take Canadian MLEs.

T

torontopharm

Poland yes, because it's part of EU and UK citizens can easily return to UK for foundation years coming from EU schools as of now.
Russia isn't part of EU so i can't imagine why UK residents would bother going there.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Poland yes, because it's part of EU and UK citizens can easily return to UK for foundation years coming from EU schools as of now.
Russia isn't part of EU so i can't imagine why UK residents would bother going there.
Because they can get into medical school. Same reason why US citizens go to a variety of Caribbean schools and and what there is a growing business of English Language schools in China catering to the Indian marketplace. Many premeds know only of the goal of getting into medical school with a hazy idea of what follows.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
yeah... though theoretically they'd be the last ones squeezed.

I have a completely totally unrealistic fantasy that one day the graduate medical education and board systems would merge too, but sadly I know that would never happen. I'd kill to live in Vancover and not have to take Canadian MLEs.
In my region, most residencies will not sponsor a visa of any type (Canadian applicant or not). Even when they purport to do so, they hardly ever exercise the opportunity.

Reactions: Goro and Mad Jack

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
LOL 4 months? better than the rest of us Canadians.... I'm still living in an igloo this time of the year =D
Not cold months, just constantly raining. I live in Ontario, and I much prefer the long cold (but bright and cheerful) winters to Vancouver's depressing mild sun-less ones.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
You will not match in Canada from either. You will likely not match in the US from either. Your past performance is indicative of medical school failure, and does not bode well for the boards even if you survive. Keep all of that in mind.

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
In my region, most residencies will not sponsor a visa of any type (Canadian applicant or not). Even when they purport to do so, they hardly ever exercise the opportunity.
We've been bringing in "research track" people, usually MD/PhDs for years, so we're one of the exceptions who has experience doing it.

Reactions: gyngyn

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
You won't see the sun for 4 months in the winter, stick to California
I already live in the Midwest. I only get the sun+warm for 4 months all year. In winter the sun means it's 9 below zero.

Pusheen

silently judging
2+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2014
The Golden State
Status
Medical Student
Woah, I didn't realize people were still scared of Russia. I've lived for many years all over Eastern Europe and Russia and it's perfectly safe unless you're trying to stage an uprising or something. There are tons of foreign students there, esp in St Petersburg and Moscow. It's a very conformist society, don't stick out and do stupid things and no one will bother you.

That being said, going to med school there is a terrible idea. It's not a great system and your degree will be essentially worthless here in the US. It's more of a trade-school setup there, with people matriculating right after HS with no quality control whatsoever.

Reactions: rachiie01

Affiche

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Woah, I didn't realize people were still scared of Russia. I've lived for many years all over Eastern Europe and Russia and it's perfectly safe unless you're trying to stage an uprising or something. There are tons of foreign students there, esp in St Petersburg and Moscow. It's a very conformist society, don't stick out and do stupid things and no one will bother you.

That being said, going to med school there is a terrible idea. It's not a great system and your degree will be essentially worthless here in the US. It's more of a trade-school setup there, with people matriculating right after HS with no quality control whatsoever.
I literally LOL'ed when I read that someone compared visiting Russia to the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Reactions: Goro and Pusheen