Only "Pass" in 3rd Year Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sparklystu

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I really am thinking seriously about a pediatric residency. However, I received only a pass in the clerkship. My school does honors/high pass/pass/fail. The thing is that I received a full score in my evaluation and the attendings only had positive things to say. It was the NBME test score that killed me, and is continuing to negatively affect my performance in all clerkships. I have only received a score of pass in all of them. I am really concerned and need to know, do I have a chance at all of a university program in pediatrics? I also have a low step 1 score of 208. Please help, I'm kind of becoming terrified that nothing I do will help me get better at taking these tests 🙁
 
I would try to do a sub I in general peds early on. Be on top of your patients, know everything about them and be a good team player (be helpful to the residents/interns). A good grade on a sub I can make up for lower scores else where, and it can also connect you to people who will write you good letters of rec. Also, don't obsess over being at a university program; apply broadly. There are a ton of great programs out there.
 
I was in similar situation as yours last year. I have 12 interviews this year, some at academic university program. You will be fine! 🙂
 
I was in similar situation as yours last year. I have 12 interviews this year, some at academic university program. You will be fine! 🙂

I had a Step 1 score of 213 and I got High Pass in my Peds sub-I, which I thought was a devastating combination and I was sure I wouldn't get any good interviews since most people get Honors in their Peds sub-I. I also did not Honors my core Peds rotation. However, fast forward a few months, I've gotten interviews at 20/33 places I applied to, a good number of which are strong academic programs. It's definitely not the end of the world if you have a below average Step 1 and below Honors in pediatrics, so don't beat yourself up!!! 🙂 All you can do at this point is try hard in your sub-I/electives, get killer LORs, get a good CK score, and write a good personal statement, which can all salvage a low score. And apply broadly when it comes time to submit ERAS. 🙂