1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

only taken written version, thinking about taking computer version

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by mommy2three, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mommy2three

mommy2three PGY-1
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i am tinkering around with possibly taking the mcat yet again. i have only taken the written version and therefore have no experience with the computer version. i was looking for anyone out there with experience and advice on going from the written to the computer version.
    tia.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. mommy2three

mommy2three PGY-1
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i saw that thread but was hoping for more personal stories from people who had done both and had some insight to give on how it worked.
    i would like to know why you specifically think if you goof up one passage you are screwed over?? can you go back or once you leave a passage you can not come back...things of that nature. also prep wise what to do to get ready since i will have no experience with the ciomputer version.

5. lisichka

lisichka certified demonologist
    7+ Year Member

6. League54

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just be careful you don't run into a passage towards the end about an evil giant robotuna that throws off your "go back" strategy :p

7. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I mean the following:
    The avg number of questions/passage is not that much less than on the paper version. Everyone has certain weak areas where they will on average get a higher percentage of questions wrong than on other topics. To use a personal example, I am terrible at equilibrium physics problems. They take me way too long and I don't always get the right answers. For this illustration, let's assume I get 50% of this type of problem incorrect, regardless of the exam format (that's another matter - it was nice to be able to write directly on diagrams on the paper version). Since each individual passage comprises a higher percentage of the total number of questions/section on the CBT than the paper version, missing 4/8 equilibrium questions should lead to a larger decrease in scaled score because there are fewer questions/passages. This is all hypothetical and other factors come into play, but there has been agreement on the strictly numerical aspect of this subject before.