ONLY the anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No worries. He'll get educated once he enters a surgical/anesthesia internship. What mommy has missed they will fix. Then he can exercise his positive thinking about 85 hours/week. Not sure if he's even in med school yet...

He's happy we are not his coworkers. Where, at the coffee shop? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I always introduce myself as "Hi, I'm woopedazz, I'll be your anaesthetist today."

Different social norms and different work-place pressures from midlevels in countries outside the US. Also never get any "not a real doctor" vibes.

I always introduce myself as "Hi, I'm woopedazz, I'll be your anaesthetist today."

Different social norms and different work-place pressures from midlevels in countries outside the US. Also never get any "not a real doctor" vibes.
Coming from a country where midlevels are ILLEGAL, I never imagined how f-cked up the US medical system is (midlevel-wise). I doubt you could either.

It's like Americans had some marxist revolution in healthcare and the new proletariat are the nurses and midlevels, who tell the much-hated intelligentsia (i.e. physicians) how and what they are supposed to think and do, while being grateful for still having a job.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from a country where midlevels are ILLEGAL, I never imagined how f-cked up the US medical system is (midlevel-wise). I doubt you could either.

It's like Americans had some marxist revolution in healthcare and the new proletariat are the nurses and midlevels, who tell the much-hated intelligentsia (i.e. physicians) how and what they are supposed to think and do, while being grateful for still having a job.

Is it really Marxist to find the cheapest and least skilled labor to get the job done in order to maximize profit for those in charge?

Is it really Marxist to find the cheapest and least skilled labor to get the job done in order to maximize profit for those in charge?
No. It's marxist to put those cheap and less-skilled workers in charge of hospitals and units, and let them dictate how the more educated are supposed to work, in a clearly disrespectful, if not hateful, manner.

Reactions: 1 users
No. It's marxist to put those cheap and less-skilled workers in charge of hospitals and units, and let them dictate how the more educated are supposed to work, in a clearly disrespectful, if not hateful, manner.

No, that’s capitalism. The nurse managers you refer to are nothing but middle management. They are there to maintain company loyalty and make sure the workers toe the line. Get over it. As a doctor you are nothing but a worker for the capitalists who run the show now. If they decide that their margins look a little better with some cheaper, less skilled labor that still gets the job done, that’s their choice.

When Nike wants to make a profit off of shirts, do they hire skilled artisans that can craft a perfectly fitted shirt out of a handmade piece of fabric? No, they make an adequate shirt with some cheap Indonesian labor. Medicine is just catching up to what has already happened in other industries.

No, that’s capitalism. The nurse managers you refer to are nothing but middle management. They are there to maintain company loyalty and make sure the workers toe the line. Get over it. As a doctor you are nothing but a worker for the capitalists who run the show now. If they decide that their margins look a little better with some cheaper, less skilled labor that still gets the job done, that’s their choice.

When Nike wants to make a profit off of shirts, do they hire skilled artisans that can craft a perfectly fitted shirt out of a handmade piece of fabric? No, they make an adequate shirt with some cheap Indonesian labor. Medicine is just catching up to what has already happened in other industries.
This is not about profits. This is about political correctness and not pissing off the nurses (i.e. the worker class), while fighting a common enemy (the thinkers). Also, both the MBAs and the nurses are stepping on doctors so that doctors don't get the idea that they could run the show without the former. Plus, in this model, the physician are the truly exploited ones, not just mere workers. Show me another professional business where the less educated lead the more educated. It's as if the paralegals were running the law firm.

Hospitals are full of feminist nurses (due to recent nursing school indoctrination) who hate both male and female physicians (the latter even more, because of envy). It's like marxist class warfare. I don't care if you don't see it; it's there. It's not about toeing the line, it's about disrespect and abuse, many times passive-aggressive. They abuse physicians as much as they can get away with, starting with residents. Corporate owners like it, because they want to brainwash physicians into feeling like worthless employees and losing all initiative.

Reactions: 5 users

I always liked the sound of a-knees-thu-teest. Maybe I’ll go by that.

This is not about profits. This is about political correctness and not pissing off the nurses (i.e. the worker class), while fighting a common enemy (the thinkers). Also, both the MBAs and the nurses are stepping on doctors so that doctors don't get the idea that they could run the show without the former. Plus, in this model, the physician are the truly exploited ones, not just mere workers. Show me another professional business where the less educated lead the more educated. It's as if the paralegals were running the law firm.

Hospitals are full of feminist nurses (due to recent nursing school indoctrination) who hate both male and female physicians (the latter even more, because of envy). It's like marxist class warfare. I don't care if you don't see it; it's there. It's not about toeing the line, it's about disrespect and abuse, many times passive-aggressive. They abuse physicians as much as they can get away with, starting with residents. Corporate owners like it, because they want to brainwash physicians into feeling like worthless employees and losing all initiative.
This might be the biggest pile of **** worthless drivel I've ever heard.

This guy is right. It's all about doing something of value at a cheaper price point. This is America. This is capitalism.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who even gives a **** about this nonsense. You know you're an M.D. and the baddest clinician around you don't need everyone to know that to feel happy unless you are inherently unhappy.

Well, I'm a D.O. and I'm one bad motherf_ucker.

Reactions: 5 users

Thank you Karl.

• Haha
Thank you Karl.
It's funny that both marxists and crony capitalists hate smart people and true meritocracy. The two groups have more things in common than they like to think.

After recently having a patient say "when the real doctor gets here i have a couple questions for them" after introducing myself as "Dr. C" i simply offered a correction to the patient that i am a board certified and extensively trained physician here to apply my skills to help them through their operation and recovery. The patient was apologetic and appreciative. Just as people should identify their roles prior to a surgical timeout, crisis scenario, etc. I think it is a matter of safety to properly identify your role and title. Some staff/patients don't like formal titles so after that i usually offer to the patient that they can call me by my first name if they prefer (i don't get butthurt by this and if it helps me establish a therapeutic alliance then i view it as a win).

We live in a very political world where we are "providers" and such but maybe because i've come out of residency within the past 5 years it doesn't bother me as much? I can imagine this may be harder for docs that trained in a different era...

This must be heavily locoregional. When I walk in and say “Hi I’m Dr. Beeftenderloin, one of the anesthesia resident docs, I’ll be helping take care of you during surgery” it’s far more likely to be met with them saying I’m too young to be a doctor or some statement of amazement of the amount of training it takes than questions about when the “real” doctor arrives.

I don't have much of an ego when it comes to these things but lately i've noticed more and more patients thinking anesthesiologists are not doctors. Comments like oh hes not the doctor hes just anesthesiologist. I'm sure they just mean he's not the surgeon but im beginning to wonder has the CRNAs brainwashing actually worked. Their plan has worked now I have to introduce myself as physician anesthesiologist...:bored:

In William Nolen's "The Making of a Surgeon", which was published in 1970 and describes his training at Bellevue in the early 1950's, he documents the fact that most patients believed that anesthesiologist were not physicians, and how rare it was that Bellevue did not employ nurse anesthetists. (They had an anesthesiology residency program that covered all the cases.) He also relates that when he slipped up and called an anesthesiologist an anesthetist he always apologized, although other surgeons didn't.

So this is not something new; even in the early 1950's nurse anesthetists were common and there was a wide-spread belief among the general public that "anesthesiologists aren't really doctors."

Yes. People confuse radiologists and X-ray techs pretty frequently.
On my IR rotation, I got a great laugh related to this. This patient's urologist (I mean doctor lol) consulted for a PCN and as my attending was explaining how he was going to do the procedure the guy kept saying "the doctor said blah blah" and it dawned on both of us that the guy wearing a big physician doctor badge telling you he was going to put a big needle through the back to the kidney and use imaging and tools that the urologist doesn't have was not a doc but the guy doing a DRE was...

Bold statement, but I think the IR docs often get even more **** from other docs and patients than anesthesiologists do if you isolate the midlevel nonsense to what it is, nonsense. That or the anesthesia groups I worked for were more powerful groups than I realized.

i always introduce myself as "Dr. Jeesapeesa the anesthesiologist taking care of you today/taking care of your mother/father, etc". i do often notice with older patients or family members that after the whole conversation, a couple have said back to me..."ok <firstname> thank you very much for what you do". i don't know if it makes them feel better to address me by my first name or whatever. frankly i don't want to correct them and i don't care much if it happens.

also with staff....new techs/nurses...as a resident i admit i did introduce myself as <firstname>. now it's "Dr. Jeesapeesa", no exceptions. with fellow physicians i address myself as <firstname>.

This whole forum sucks. Just pessimistic losers. Damn I'm glad none of yall are my coworkers. Yall suck ass. I like optimistic winners. Leaders.
I am not sure this post complies with SDN terms of service.
IMHO if you have an opinion or a statement then let us hear it, we might learn something from you, but unprovoked foul language is not a good start of a productive debate.

Last edited:

It's all about the money my friend.
If you were a hospital CEO, an AMC executive, or an ASA bigwig sponsored by hospital CEOs and/or AMC executives, then you have an inherent interest in supporting a cheaper provider (vendor of service), even if you know that they might kill a few more patients, that's what the whole deal is.
It's not communism, it is capitalism in it's purest forms.

Reactions: 3 users
so after that i usually offer to the patient that they can call me by my first name if they prefer (i don't get butthurt by this and if it helps me establish a therapeutic alliance then i view it as a win).

Dumb

I once introduced myself to a patient as “Hi, I’m Dr LastName” and she responded “What’s your first name” followed by “I like to call all my doctors by their first name”. l wanted to say “B*tch if I wanted you to address me by my first name, I would have introduced myself with it.” Instead I said, “oh, ok”

I once introduced myself to a patient as “Hi, I’m Dr LastName” and she responded “What’s your first name” followed by “I like to call all my doctors by their first name”. l wanted to say “B*tch if I wanted you to address me by my first name, I would have introduced myself with it.” Instead I said, “oh, ok”
Did you tell her your first name?

I would say "I'd prefer you not to, Ms. LastName. ALL of my patients address me as Dr. LastName and that puts into my professional thinking mode, which allows me to give you the best care." (That's actually true.)

If she refuses, I would refer her to one of my colleagues (and generally I will use any pretext to get rid of her). That kind of patient is a disaster waiting to happen (i.e. she has zero respect for her physicians, hence she will report you or sue your a-- the moment something doesn't work out the way she wants).

I am friendly with patients, but I am not their friend. They can call me Mister LastName if they don't want to use Doctor, but they don't get to call me by my first name unless they are veterans (or other special people I feel indebted to).

I stopped calling my internist by his first name and started using official channels only, once I noticed that his care got worse (he's back on track for now).

If she refuses, I would refer her to one of my colleagues (and generally I will use any pretext to get rid of her). That kind of patient is a disaster waiting to happen (i.e. she has zero respect for her physicians, hence she will report you or sue your a-- the moment something doesn't work out the way she wants).
Totally agree with this. I go to my dentist and optometrist and call them doctors purely out of respect for their field and as professionals. A patient demanding to call a physician by his/her first name has a higher likelihood of being a disaster than one who respects you enough to call you by your professional title.

I would’ve stated that no one calls me by my first name. Which is kinda true as my first name is relatively common, so I’ve gone by my last name since middle school.

My first name is unusual and nobody knows how to pronounce it so even when I introduce myself with both first and last name, patients 100% of the time call me Dr. Lastname.

My first name is unusual and nobody knows how to pronounce it so even when I introduce myself with both first and last name, patients 100% of the time call me Dr. Lastname.

My first name is almost unpronounceable the way it spells. My last name is much simpler, think one syllable, but can have several ways of pronouncing depends where one stresses the accent.

Anyone, in particular patients, asks what my name is. “It’s Dr. IMGASMD, even if I tell you how to say my first name, you can’t say it anyway.....” GTFOH.

My first name is almost unpronounceable the way it spells. My last name is much simpler, think one syllable, but can have several ways of pronouncing depends where one stresses the accent.

Anyone, in particular patients, asks what my name is. “It’s Dr. IMGASMD, even if I tell you how to say my first name, you can’t say it anyway.....” GTFOH.

I have a very common last name, many other doctors have the same name including some in my own hospital, so I often tell patients my full name. Just this week I was providing anesthesia for a pain doc with the same name.

Last edited:

"I already told you, it's 'Doctor'."

• Haha
  • Love
Eh. If a patient insisted on calling me by my first name I wouldn't be too bothered. While I would still introduce myself as Dr. Lastname, I don't really care how the patient wants to work it out. Putting them under anesthesia is a big deal, so I want them to be comfortable rather than confronted.

I would say "I'd prefer you not to, Ms. LastName. ALL of my patients address me as Dr. LastName and that puts into my professional thinking mode, which allows me to give you the best care." (That's actually true.)

I am friendly with patients, but I am not their friend. They can call me Mister LastName if they don't want to use Doctor, but they don't get to call me by my first name unless they are veterans (or other special people I feel indebted to).

I stopped calling my internist by his first name and started using official channels only, once I noticed that his care got worse (he's back on track for now).
Smile, tell them whatever they want to hear, and push the propofol. This is the best way to interact with patients....

Eh. If a patient insisted on calling me by my first name I wouldn't be too bothered. While I would still introduce myself as Dr. Lastname, I don't really care how the patient wants to work it out. Putting them under anesthesia is a big deal, so I want them to be comfortable rather than confronted.

Agree 100%. I would argue when patients become uncomfortable they are more likely to complain about you or file lawsuits so I'd rather let it ride than ruffle feathers

Agree 100%. I would argue when patients become uncomfortable they are more likely to complain about you or file lawsuits so I'd rather let it ride than ruffle feathers
That's a good doggie anesthesiologist.

If a patient is stressed about her surgery, then I don't care either. But. more frequently than not, it's pure disrespect and nothing more.

So using your logic, you would be ok if a patient insults you right before anesthesia, just so they would be comfortable and not confronted?