ONLY the anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaseousClay

:)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have much of an ego when it comes to these things but lately i've noticed more and more patients thinking anesthesiologists are not doctors. Comments like oh hes not the doctor hes just anesthesiologist. I'm sure they just mean he's not the surgeon but im beginning to wonder has the CRNAs brainwashing actually worked. Their plan has worked now I have to introduce myself as physician anesthesiologist...:bored:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody thinks that anesthesiologists are real doctors. No joke my dean in medical school asked me if I really wanted to go into anesthesia. He advised me to do preliminary medicine instead of a transitional year in case I changed my mind. So did my parents. They said, “Don’t you want to be a cardiologist or an oncologist?”

I've run into that. Also, just yesterday, I was checking on a patient post-op and after leaving was typing up a quick note on the computer right outside their room and I heard them tell their visitor "I think the anesthesiologist is the most important person in the room. Without them the surgery wouldn't be possible."

Everything's on a bell curve.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think it has anything to do with CRNA propaganda.
i think people just don't know what the anesthesiologist does..
hell, even some surgeons don't know what we do
I agree. I think they can’t make an appointment with you so you aren’t what they usually think of as a doctor.

It comes down to patient education, which should be done way in advance of you stepping into the pre-op area.

I’m just annoyed that EPIC decides to label my notes as by “anesthesiologist“ but everyone elses notes get labeled as “physician”

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For whatever reason I don't run into this issue, or if I do I just don't notice it. And I never use the term "physician anesthesiologist". That's got to be the worst marketing nonsense the ASA ever came up with.

I’m just annoyed that EPIC decides to label my notes as by “anesthesiologist“ but everyone elses notes get labeled as “physician”

we use epic and i dont remember this... but i probably also didn't take a close look.

I don't have much of an ego when it comes to these things but lately i've noticed more and more patients thinking anesthesiologists are not doctors. Comments like oh hes not the doctor hes just anesthesiologist. I'm sure they just mean he's not the surgeon but im beginning to wonder has the CRNAs brainwashing actually worked. Their plan has worked now I have to introduce myself as physician anesthesiologist...:bored:

also i get annoyed too but i also encounter this all the time so i just assume patient doesnt' know.

it also doesn't help that a lot of younger people are introducing themselves to patients by their FIRST name.
also patients probably dont even know how the CRNA/MD thing works anyway. if the CRNA talks to them, and doesnt say doctor, or even says nurse, and the patient doesn't interact much with the MDs, they might think the ppl giving anesthesia are not doctors

it also doesn't help that a lot of younger people are introducing themselves to patients by their FIRST name.

Yes, I tell all of my residents to never introduce themselves by their first name. It makes no sense.

Reactions: 5 users

Our encounters are MUCH different than those of any other physician. I’m glad we get our own tabs and don’t have to wade through all their crap.

You think this is bad?

Disclaimer, I’m a male.

Try being a female physician. My female partners almost daily are stopped by patients with “excuse me, nurse...”

It could be a lot worse. Just introduce yourself as the anesthesia doctor. The GI comes behind me and calls themselves the gastro or stomach doctor very often.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I first started in the unit at my new job, I heard that one of the hospitalists was upset that a patient I transferred out of the unit have been seen by a doctor in two days. He filters his notes to physician only, so didn't see any of my progress notes. Even though I showed up as Critical Care Medicine for service, author type was still anesthesiologist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

call them out on it. if my patient is rude then im rude right back to them. **** that. you dont get a pass to be a ***** just because youre about to go to the OR

that's your hospital, not epic, and it is able to be edited by your local IT whether they admit to being able to do it or not.

Rather malbeced now, but have to say your presence does not go unnoticed. For A1/2 I decide how to run my GAs, but having someone to discuss my plans with, who has some recognition of just that obscure med(from six years of med school, five years residency), is pure gold. You're THE anesthesiologist, hope some of you take actual pride in that.

/Norski out.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using SDN mobile

I like to lead with "hi I'm Dr. abolt18, one of your anesthesia doctors today."

I figure repetition helps.

When I first started in the unit at my new job, I heard that one of the hospitalists was upset that a patient I transferred out of the unit have been seen by a doctor in two days. He filters his notes to physician only, so didn't see any of my progress notes. Even though I showed up as Critical Care Medicine for service, author type was still anesthesiologist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Effing ridiculous...

call them out on it. if my patient is rude then im rude right back to them. **** that. you dont get a pass to be a ***** just because youre about to go to the OR
... if you’re gonna be rude to your pts just because they’re *****s... you’re gonna have a bad time.

Reactions: 11 users
I also have the bell curve, but more patients than not appreciate my role, knowing that their lives are on the line and we're the ones managing it. Most are pretty happy to meet me knowing that it's my job to get them out alive, all the while having a good sleep. It's all in the presentation, making your role known, not just as the "bartender" but the person who if we can't get keep them oxygenated\perfused could be game over

I also have the bell curve, but more patients than not appreciate my role, knowing that their lives are on the line and we're the ones managing it. Most are pretty happy to meet me knowing that it's my job to get them out alive, all the while having a good sleep. It's all in the presentation, making your role known, not just as the "bartender" but the person who if we can't get keep them oxygenated\perfused could be game over

Pretty annoying when preop nurses try and be cute and introduce us an bartenders from the get go...wait maybe I do have an ego lol

Hello, my name is Doctor Mirrotodd, your resident training in Anesthesiology today. My attending's name is Doctor Anesthesiologist. I'd like to start by verifying your name and date of birth please. (Sometimes I vary it by saying I am a resident training in Anesthesiology).

EDIT: it should honestly be mandatory per ASA or ACGME rules to introduce ourselves something like that while in training. I'll be honest here, I was uncomfortable at first calling my self a doctor or introducing myself as such. I had to force myself to get over that.

Yes, I tell all of my residents to never introduce themselves by their first name. It makes no sense.
I agree as an IM resident... I introduced myself by my 1st name the other day and that family member started addressing me by my first name. It was pretty awkward when she was doing that in front of my attending. Very awkward!

Last edited:
I have definitely noticed this. And I don't think some of us are helping to change this. I have noticed that many of my colleagues introduce themselves by their first name. Like, "Hi, I'm Dan and I'll be your anesthesiologist". Hear it all the time. I think it affects perception. I personally think we should be introducing ourselves as Dr.

Who cares how your colleagues r introducing themselves? If you want to introduce yourself as Dr, sounds great. No need to legislate ASA or hospital policy that your colleagues have to do it too. Let everyone practice how they want

(FYI I introduce myself as Dr Lastname)

If you want to be treated like a doctor you need to act like one, that's the secret.
Many anesthesiologists who complain that they don't get respect from patients, staff, administration... lack the confidence and personality and mainly act like nurses.
As for calling ourselves "physician anesthesiologist" this is a terrible idea and very insulting to this field since it implies that there are physician anesthesiologists and non physician anesthesiologists!

Reactions: 10 users
If you want to be treated like a doctor you need to act like one, that's the secret.
Many anesthesiologists who complain that they don't get respect from patients, staff, administration... lack the confidence and personality and mainly act like nurses.
As for calling ourselves "physician anesthesiologist" this is a terrible idea and very insulting to this field since it implies that there are physician anesthesiologists and non physician anesthesiologists!

I don’t always agree with Plank but this is right on the money. From the moment you step into the hospital, be the professional - be confident, introduce yourself as “doctor” and stand up straight / look people in the eye (I’m always shocked at how bad folks are at this). Be courteous and friendly (even if it’s a facade!) to those you come in contact with.

When I started as an attending I made this a priority. Gone were the days when I showed up in ratty gym shorts and a brewery logo T-shirt of my residency days - I’m in them for all of 4-5 minutes but I remember thinking “gee, could that person at least try to look decent” of my staff that did that in training. And yes there is a difference between this and the put-together outfit of someone stopping by the gym on the way home. I considered wearing a suit each day but that was just too much, I settle for slacks and a dress shirt. This way I can meet with patients if I am running behind and change into scrubs while they are brought back. Notice I’m not saying that you need to be perfectly manicured and for the ladies a mask of makeup and an uncomfortable heels outfit... but do make an attempt to look presentable. I try to shave most days, at least. .

Anyway, this is what I do to keep up experiences. Your preferences may vary!

Reactions: 3 users
I get a different sense where I am. Most patients immediately say, "Oh, you're my favorite person." The only times I get the, "he's just the anesthesiologist," is when patients keep asking surgical questions and I defer those questions.

I don’t always agree with Plank but this is right on the money. From the moment you step into the hospital, be the professional - be confident, introduce yourself as “doctor” and stand up straight / look people in the eye (I’m always shocked at how bad folks are at this). Be courteous and friendly (even if it’s a facade!) to those you come in contact with.

When I started as an attending I made this a priority. Gone were the days when I showed up in ratty gym shorts and a brewery logo T-shirt of my residency days - I’m in them for all of 4-5 minutes but I remember thinking “gee, could that person at least try to look decent” of my staff that did that in training. And yes there is a difference between this and the put-together outfit of someone stopping by the gym on the way home. I considered wearing a suit each day but that was just too much, I settle for slacks and a dress shirt. This way I can meet with patients if I am running behind and change into scrubs while they are brought back. Notice I’m not saying that you need to be perfectly manicured and for the ladies a mask of makeup and an uncomfortable heels outfit... but do make an attempt to look presentable. I try to shave most days, at least. .

Anyway, this is what I do to keep up experiences. Your preferences may vary!
And it's subtle, but if you wear dress shoes all the time (yes, with your scrubs too) it makes a difference.

Edit: Mistyped something

Last edited:
In my short career, I have not had a problem in being introduced or accepted as a physician. If I have, I probably didn’t notice or care.

My best friend's wife was confused when I said I was an anesthesiologist because "But

And it's subtle, but if you wear dress shoes all the time (yes, with your scrubs too) it makes a difference.

So I shouldn’t wear these?;)

Attachments

• F619CC4B-4322-44D7-A0F7-D7A79397ADD6.jpeg
    F619CC4B-4322-44D7-A0F7-D7A79397ADD6.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 77
So are you saying I should stop introducing myself to patients as;

“Hi, I’m Salty. I’m just your anesthesiologist.”

For whatever reason I don't run into this issue, or if I do I just don't notice it. And I never use the term "physician anesthesiologist". That's got to be the worst marketing nonsense the ASA ever came up with.
Normally I'd agree, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate only because I recently met one of the ASA delegates at one of my interviews and this topic came up. He told me they ran focus groups on various titles we could use and the term "anesthesiologist" unfortunately leaves people with blank stares a lot of the time. Like it or not, the nurses have won and the term anesthesiologist doesn't mean exclusively physician to a lot of people. Referring to doctors as "physician anesthesiologists" isn't really a solution, it's more like just what it's come down to. Now, the question on whether or not we should even care what the average beer-bellied lout thinks or if it's futile to fight the wave of stupidity that drowns the masses is another matter entirely. I would think that every dollar spent on these focus groups on what to call ourselves would be better spent on lobbying people who's opinion actually matters but what the hell do I know.

If this stuff bothers you then Anestheia is not for you. They can call me whatever they want so long as the paycheck comes on time.....

Reactions: 7 users
What I say 100% of the time: "Hi I'm Dr. Consigliere and I'm the anesthesiologist supervising your anesthesia care today. The anesthesia nurse, (CRNA's first name) will be helping me today."

You have my permission to copy this, memorize or modify it, and use it daily. You're welcome.

Reactions: 7 users
You think this is bad?

Disclaimer, I’m a male.

Try being a female physician. My female partners almost daily are stopped by patients with “excuse me, nurse...”

It could be a lot worse. Just introduce yourself as the anesthesia doctor. The GI comes behind me and calls themselves the gastro or stomach doctor very often.

You think that’s bad? People often think I’m an ortho doc because of my size.

Now THAT is offensive.

I mean, I’m a real doctor... I like know things about medicine and stuff!!!

• Haha
  • Angry
You think that’s bad? People often think I’m an ortho doc because of my size.

Now THAT is offensive.

I mean, I’m a real doctor... I like know things about medicine and stuff!!!

Just skip leg day a few times and you’ll be OK, maybe be mistaken more for EM.

• Haha
I prefer patients to focus on their surgeons/medicine docs.
I like flying under the radar when I am out and about as a civilian.

:ninja:

Reactions: 3 users
I prefer patients to focus on their surgeons/medicine docs.
I like flying under the radar when I am out and about as a civilian.

:ninja:
The ideal anesthesiologist, AKA surgical waiter.

No sarcasm intended; I really believe this to be the key for success in anesthesia, personality- and attitude-wise. People who are unhappy in anesthesia usually fail this test.

Hence this entire thread is pointless. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And I thought this was an issue with my former hospital's implementation only...

Who even gives a **** about this nonsense. You know you're an M.D. and the baddest clinician around you don't need everyone to know that to feel happy unless you are inherently unhappy.

Who even gives a **** about this nonsense. You know you're an M.D. and the baddest clinician around you don't need everyone to know that to feel happy unless you are inherently unhappy.

i wouldnt care either if we didn't have all this BS with people trying to lower our pay/jobs. if people who dont know our field dont think we are doctors, then maybe they think they dont need a doctor to do this job. then soon we will just lag behind all the other professions

i wouldnt care either if we didn't have all this BS with people trying to lower our pay/jobs. if people who dont know our field dont think we are doctors, then maybe they think they dont need a doctor to do this job. then soon we will just lag behind all the other professions
Maaaybe? Maaaaaybe???

That's exactly what they think. Surgeons think they could do our jobs both in the OR and in the ICU, otherwise they would keep their mouths shut. And they are not the only ones. The Dunning-Kruger effect is endemic in medicine and healthcare.

I think if we took a poll, patients may also not realize radiologists or pathologists are not doctors, aka any specialty not a primary for patients aren’t “doctors”

I think if we took a poll, patients may also not realize radiologists or pathologists are not doctors, aka any specialty not a primary for patients aren’t “doctors”

Yes. People confuse radiologists and X-ray techs pretty frequently.

I know you MEANT to say they'd not realize that rad and path ARE doctors, but just correcting for clarity.