OOS List Help: cGPA 3.6, sgpa 3.5, 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parrot10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Need help getting an idea of what to add to my OOS school list for this upcoming cycle. Meh numbers due to some rough life experiences and an overloaded undergrad, but hoping my dedication to service and underrepresented communities will be noted by schools with a service mission statement. I'm worried that these schools have huge numbers of applicants, though. Should I apply DO, too?

Thanks!
  1. cGPA 3.63, sgpa 3.50 (U-shaped curve, upward trend after sophomore year)
  2. 512 (126, 127, 127, 132)
  3. NV
  4. ORM, LGBTQ+, female
  5. Top 20 undergrad, now pursuing MPH at top 10
  6. Currently part-time scribe (will have ~350 hours by June, will continue to scribe for the next year)
    • Volunteer for HIV/COVID screening non-profit (~100 hours over 2 years)
  7. Weak on research
    • One summer (~150 hours) with a poster
    • One year as a research assistant
  8. Shadowing (~150 hours)
    • Pediatrics, internal medicine, urgent care (~50 hours each)
  9. Hypothermia outreach volunteering (~200 hours over 4 years)
  10. ECs
    • Worked 4 years part-time (~1500 hours)
    • Founded, led, and participated in school service organization for over 4 years (~500 hours)
    • Wrote for school newspaper for 3 years (~100 hours)
    • Student officer for cultural organization for 1 year (~100 hours)
    • Mentor/tutor for underserved middle schoolers for 1 year (~150 hours)
  11. Recognized by uni for commitment to LGBTQ+ community
  12. Other things to note
    1. Life-long experience as a caregiver to special needs family member
      • Spent every summer caregiving, ~1500 hours
      • Also spent most of COVID caregiving upon return home
    2. Strong interest in primary care, underserved communities
State schools
Emory
UC Davis
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
Tufts
Rush
Oregon
NYMC
EVMS
Rosalind
UMD
UA, Tucson

Members don't see this ad.

UC Davis accepted only one non resident last year. Oregon and UA Tucson accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
You could add any of these schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
Also apply to several DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
LECOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
You have excellent activities. MCAT and GPA are around average. You should mostly be targeting low/mid tier MD. Make sure to add as many schools in your state and region that accept OOS students too. Otherwise Faha has given a good list. I would aim for around 25 schools - with a well targeted list I think you'll be successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Faha and @Banco! Do either of you think it would be worth it to do an MCAT re-take? I got the 512 score after a 3 week cram in a time period where I had very little freedom and was caregiving and in school full-time. With more time I think I could legitimately score quite a bit better, but is it worth it?

Thank you @Faha and @Banco! Do either of you think it would be worth it to do an MCAT re-take? I got the 512 score after a 3 week cram in a time period where I had very little freedom and was caregiving and in school full-time. With more time I think I could legitimately score quite a bit better, but is it worth it?
You do not need to retake a MCAT of 512.

Reactions: 1 users

Your MCAT score is good. I don't think a retake is necessary unless you somehow consistently were scoring 517+ and the 512 is a fluke.

Your MCAT score is good. I don't think a retake is necessary unless you somehow consistently were scoring 517+ and the 512 is a fluke.
Ah yes, that's the only reason I asked honestly. My 4 AAMC practices were consistently ~517+ (516, 518, 520, 523). However, folks (including my dean) argue that the cost far outweighs any slight benefit the MCAT could provide. Just trying to parse everything with a cost-benefit analysis lol. Thank you to you and Faha!

Ah yes, that's the only reason I asked honestly. My 4 AAMC practices were consistently ~517+ (516, 518, 520, 523). However, folks (including my dean) argue that the cost far outweighs any slight benefit the MCAT could provide. Just trying to parse everything with a cost-benefit analysis lol. Thank you to you and Faha!

Ah damn, tough call. I would say if you somehow end up not getting accepted first cycle, it might be a consideration.