OOS schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212936

I want to apply to some OOS State schools that normally favor in-state applicants. But as some people said, if I have connections to that state, I'll increase my chance. What kinds of "connections" would help?

Members don't see this ad.

Many of these schools are bound by state law to have a certain percentage of their class made up on IS students - if you're not in-state, you won't be put in this pile.

The real "connection" I see is that if you went to the school for undergrad, maybe that could give you a leg up. That's the best advice I can give, maybe some others have some first-hand knowledge?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to apply to some OOS State schools that normally favor in-state applicants. But as some people said, if I have connections to that state, I'll increase my chance. What kinds of "connections" would help?

I've always been under the impression that "connections" are close family members living in that area. The idea behind it is that you're more likely to stay in that state after graduation if you have family.

I guess that would technically mean that "connections" are anything that are likely to keep you in the state after finishing medical school.

Close family members, or you grew up in the area but moved away after high school. In some states having lived there for years would be considered a tie rather than residency (like Hawaii, where you basically have to have been born, raised, and educated there, or be of native Hawaiian ancestry, to be a resident).

Ahhh thanks for the inputs! I got the idea.
The question now is: do you need to demonstrate that 'connection' on papers, in some way, perhaps in secondaries?

I think it's very important to speak to why a particular school appeals to you personally (this is good to keep in mind for the majority of your secondaries, especially for your top schools). What makes it appealing to you - programs, location, people, etc.? That sort of stuff is what you do in your secondary. I'll let someone else speak to the "connection" part....

Ahhh thanks for the inputs! I got the idea.
The question now is: do you need to demonstrate that 'connection' on papers, in some way, perhaps in secondaries?

A lot of schools have the "why do you want to attend this school?" question, and that's a really good time to work in any connections you might have.

I would suggest looking at the MSAR and if it is accurate, USNWR when they release their rankings for the best graduate schools of the year.

When reading USNWR, look for whether it is a public or private school. Then, it should be listed at the end of its entry the percentage of matriculating applicants that are from IS.

ideas about state residency are thrown around a lot here on SDN so i thought i'd ask for future reference... does anyone know where to find a comprehensive list of how each state determines residency?

I don't think there are any comprehensive lists available (I could be wrong) since the residency rules vary a lot from state to state. For example, despite not living in Louisiana (for several years) or Mississippi (ever) I'm still a resident there according to their laws. Most state schools have links to their state's residency requirements on their websites.