OOS tuition question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, so forgive me if everyone knows but me....

When applying to an out-of-state school, are you considered OOS (and thus pay OOS tuition) for all 4 years? In grad school, I was OOS for the first year, and after 1 year of residency in Colorado, I only paid in-state tuition.

And I am married and well out of my parent's house, so their state won't play a role as it did way back when they were paying for my undergrad degree.

Members don't see this ad.

All 4 with most, and some allow you to attain instate residency after MS-1. Totally depends on the state.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Alabama used to (quit doing so last year though, I believe).

NJ -- I believe does so upon purchasing a plate.

Last edited:
This is not true - some people don't have cars, and some have their parents pay for insurance (and that may be from another state.) So all you need is a New Jersey driver's license (or ID I guess.)

A plate still suffices, but fair enough.

Thanks everyone...

Once I figure out exactly which publicly-funded OOS schools I'm applying to, I'll just contact them all. That is such a pain. After a year there, you're paying taxes. My husband will have a job in whichever state we go to and we'll be official residents. They should all let you be in-state after a year of taxes to them. That's my opinion. Oh well, nobody consults me when making these kinds of decisions....

If anyone knows of specific the policy on specific DO's, feel free to post it.

I'll post in case it helps anyone else, once I get the lowdown on the schools I'm interested in - just in case they are not all the same. This will definately make a difference as to which schools I apply to this upcoming app cycle.

Oh, my avatar. Little risque, but all in good fun.

Can you see the frog in the picture? I teach college biology, but I would probably lose a little credibility if I lifted my skirt when the frog jumped up at me.

Can you see the frog in the picture? I teach college biology, but I would probably lose a little credibility if I lifted my skirt when the frog jumped up at me.

Ahh, OK it's a frog, I can see it now. That's an interesting picture.

those stalkings are hott.

Thanks everyone...

Once I figure out exactly which publicly-funded OOS schools I'm applying to, I'll just contact them all. That is such a pain. After a year there, you're paying taxes. My husband will have a job in whichever state we go to and we'll be official residents. They should all let you be in-state after a year of taxes to them. That's my opinion. Oh well, nobody consults me when making these kinds of decisions....

If anyone knows of specific the policy on specific DO's, feel free to post it.

I'll post in case it helps anyone else, once I get the lowdown on the schools I'm interested in - just in case they are not all the same. This will definately make a difference as to which schools I apply to this upcoming app cycle.

I'm pretty sure when I applied to Ohio University COM there was mention of be in state after the the first year. If you are oos you have to sign a 5 year contract to practice medicine in Ohio after your residency though.

Anyone know if WVSOM will let you declare in-state status after a year? I love the school, but the OOS tuition is waaaay too high for me. I have an interview there on Friday, so I'll ask then, just thought maybe someone could give me a heads up! :)

pretty sure you can only claim instate if you marry a legal resident, or pay taxes in wv?? not too sure

it is an awesome school though, and i am convinced that you get what you pay for

when comparing the cost of living at other schools in different areas, you really are not shelling out a whole bunch more. besides, when you are inheriting hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt what is another 50 or 60??:D

pretty sure you can only claim instate if you marry a legal resident, or pay taxes in wv?? not too sure

it is an awesome school though, and i am convinced that you get what you pay for

when comparing the cost of living at other schools in different areas, you really are not shelling out a whole bunch more. besides, when you are inheriting hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt what is another 50 or 60??:D

When you consider the compounded interest, you should be pinching every borrowed penny. Living large today will cost you later.