OOS UG and IS Med School?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NJ resident, if I went to the University of Oklahoma for UG would I be able to come back here and go to UMDNJ? What I mean is that some people say there is no point in applying OOS because there are so little spots available. I understand, but would I have to go to Rutgers and pull a 4.0 to get into UMDNJ, or could I go to any school, get stellar grades and apply? I hope this makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a NJ resident, if I went to the University of Oklahoma for UG would I be able to come back here and go to UMDNJ?
Yes. As long as you don't relinquish your NJ residency, you will still be IS for NJ schools, too.
would I have to go to Rutgers and pull a 4.0 to get into UMDNJ, or could I go to any school, get stellar grades and apply?
Either way is fine. As long as you attend a 4-year college, our undergrad school is completely irrelevant where simply being considered for admission is concerned.

I am a NJ resident, if I went to the University of Oklahoma for UG would I be able to come back here and go to UMDNJ? What I mean is that some people say there is no point in applying OOS because there are so little spots available. I understand, but would I have to go to Rutgers and pull a 4.0 to get into UMDNJ, or could I go to any school, get stellar grades and apply? I hope this makes sense.
I agree with MA's answers to both questions. Go to college wherever you feel like you can do well. For the state residency issue, it probably wouldn't change your state residency if you go to college OOS as long as your permanent address would still be in NJ (i.e., your parents' address). If you keep your NJ driver's license in OK (perfectly fine to do), that could also classify you as a NJ resident. In FL where I'm from, the state school apps asked where I went to HS; I also had to provide evidence of state citizenship (driver's license, voter registration, etc.) and declare a county of residency. You should probably contact the NJ med schools and ask them how they classify state residency for someone in your situation, in case they have a different policy than the FL schools do. Best of luck to you. :)