Open PGY2 spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montyp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a PGY-2 in radiology and am seriously contemplating a switch to PM&R. During med school, it came down to rads and pm&r for me and I'm now starting to find out rads is not for me. What's the best way to search for open PGY-2 spots? When do spots usually open up, if they do at all? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
LEJEUNESAGE gave two valuable links. Another option is to go to the ERAS website, log-in, and search for yourself. It is more time consuming but the programs listed as "physician-only" are PGY-2 spots which are open.

So I've been thinking about making the switch from rads to PM&R for the last month as my previous post stated and now I've decided to go for it.

Should I email PDs requesting them to consider me should a PGY2 spot open up? (if yes, what should my initial email contain besides a CV)?
Should I request a token from my med school and register for ERAS? (to apply physician only spots or is it too late)
Can/how do I register for SOAP (if I don't find a position for July 2015, I'm wiling to wait another year and start in July 2016)?

In terms of LoRs, I had a PM&R and sports medicine rotations during med school but did not request letters from them at that time since I was set on going into radiology. Is PM&R LoR absolutely required? (i'm wondering how would I get some meaningful PM&R experience during my current rads residency and obtain a letter)

Thanks in advance!

How would this work in terms of getting funding from medicare to complete the PM&R residency? The way I understand it is that you only get the funding that is required to complete the first residency you start. After those years are up, you get 50% indefinitely as long as you are in a training program. Now obviously this excludes fellowships. I guess in your case that this probably wouldn't matter since you are given 5 years worth of funding for rads anyway. I am correct in my understanding of this rule though?

So I've been thinking about making the switch from rads to PM&R for the last month as my previous post stated and now I've decided to go for it.

Should I email PDs requesting them to consider me should a PGY2 spot open up? (if yes, what should my initial email contain besides a CV)?
Should I request a token from my med school and register for ERAS? (to apply physician only spots or is it too late)
Can/how do I register for SOAP (if I don't find a position for July 2015, I'm wiling to wait another year and start in July 2016)?

In terms of LoRs, I had a PM&R and sports medicine rotations during med school but did not request letters from them at that time since I was set on going into radiology. Is PM&R LoR absolutely required? (i'm wondering how would I get some meaningful PM&R experience during my current rads residency and obtain a letter)

Thanks in advance!

Do you mind expounding on why rads is not for you? Just curious