Open PGY2 spots

Started by montyp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

montyp

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm currently a PGY-2 in radiology and am seriously contemplating a switch to PM&R. During med school, it came down to rads and pm&r for me and I'm now starting to find out rads is not for me. What's the best way to search for open PGY-2 spots? When do spots usually open up, if they do at all? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LEJEUNESAGE gave two valuable links. Another option is to go to the ERAS website, log-in, and search for yourself. It is more time consuming but the programs listed as "physician-only" are PGY-2 spots which are open.
 
So I've been thinking about making the switch from rads to PM&R for the last month as my previous post stated and now I've decided to go for it.

Should I email PDs requesting them to consider me should a PGY2 spot open up? (if yes, what should my initial email contain besides a CV)?
Should I request a token from my med school and register for ERAS? (to apply physician only spots or is it too late)
Can/how do I register for SOAP (if I don't find a position for July 2015, I'm wiling to wait another year and start in July 2016)?

In terms of LoRs, I had a PM&R and sports medicine rotations during med school but did not request letters from them at that time since I was set on going into radiology. Is PM&R LoR absolutely required? (i'm wondering how would I get some meaningful PM&R experience during my current rads residency and obtain a letter)

Thanks in advance!
 
How would this work in terms of getting funding from medicare to complete the PM&R residency? The way I understand it is that you only get the funding that is required to complete the first residency you start. After those years are up, you get 50% indefinitely as long as you are in a training program. Now obviously this excludes fellowships. I guess in your case that this probably wouldn't matter since you are given 5 years worth of funding for rads anyway. I am correct in my understanding of this rule though?
 
So I've been thinking about making the switch from rads to PM&R for the last month as my previous post stated and now I've decided to go for it.

Should I email PDs requesting them to consider me should a PGY2 spot open up? (if yes, what should my initial email contain besides a CV)?
Should I request a token from my med school and register for ERAS? (to apply physician only spots or is it too late)
Can/how do I register for SOAP (if I don't find a position for July 2015, I'm wiling to wait another year and start in July 2016)?

In terms of LoRs, I had a PM&R and sports medicine rotations during med school but did not request letters from them at that time since I was set on going into radiology. Is PM&R LoR absolutely required? (i'm wondering how would I get some meaningful PM&R experience during my current rads residency and obtain a letter)

Thanks in advance!

Do you mind expounding on why rads is not for you? Just curious