opening a pharmacy that doesn't stock abortion meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amerikaner

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be legal to open a community pharmacy and respectfully choose not stock certain items like abortion pills and the HPV vaccine ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure this pharmacy would do really well if it were next to one of those non denominational (I accidentally typed demonational at first haha) mega churches.

but I still don't see why you wouldn't stock the HPV vaccine (oh no, it's going to make our daughters HOOOOORS!)
 
I'm in the Northeast. This "theoretical pharmacy" would respectfully not carry contraceptives either.
 
I'm in the Northeast. This "theoretical pharmacy" would respectfully not carry contraceptives either.

My guess is, this "theoretical pharmacy" would go out of business. Perhaps you might want to consider stocking up on a large supply of coat hangers instead?
 
My goal after finishing pharmacy school is to open a chain of pharmacies that will outgrow the likes of CVS and Walgreens. There is a lot of demand for the above described pharmacy.
 
A pharmacy with a selective formulary is simply going to not get as much business. The physicians are not going to start consulting your pharmacy to see which medications you stock and the patients would rapidly become intolerant. Maybe you should look into a medicine cabinet and sell OTC's out of your trunk?
 
If you're looking to outgrow CVS or Walgreens I don't think you're gonna be able to do it by picking and choosing what things you want to sell and what you don't.

As the above poster mentioned I'd also like to see the research that leads you to believe that these types of pharmacies are in high demand.

In my view a pharmacist should be there to look after the publics health. Do you think you would be doing that by not offering these products?
 
It might due well in the Bible belt, or if your main customer base were geriatrics (less need for such things).

You'd have to be extra careful and monitor the laws pertaining to Plan B. States have discussed requiring that it be stocked, others have discussed requiring the pharmacist to order it if it is requested. A federal judge just recently decided that requiring a pharmacist to dispense it against their beliefs (moral discretion) restricted religious freedom. It'll be an interesting debate. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004003599_planb09m.html
 
The great thing about America is: The OP is free to attempt to open a pharmacy that caters to a certain segment of the market place that holds beliefs similar to his own. He may very well find a market. I personally would not attempt to dissuade him from following his dreams, nor would I be an investor in his company.
 
Would it be legal to open a community pharmacy and respectfully choose not stock certain items like abortion pills and the HPV vaccine ?
nobody really answered your question...the answer is yes, it is legal to do so provided that in some states you will be required to provide information to the patient on where to go for health service...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It might due well in the Bible belt, or if your main customer base were geriatrics (less need for such things).

You'd have to be extra careful and monitor the laws pertaining to Plan B. States have discussed requiring that it be stocked, others have discussed requiring the pharmacist to order it if it is requested. A federal judge just recently decided that requiring a pharmacist to dispense it against their beliefs (moral discretion) restricted religious freedom. It'll be an interesting debate. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004003599_planb09m.html
your answer is ridiculous....the op's setup could work anywhere, not just the bible belt or where we got some old people. Do you think all we do down here is just provide medicine based on religion? As long as it is in a location or business practice where it can sustain itself, it could be successful anywhere.
 
your answer is ridiculous....the op's setup could work anywhere, not just the bible belt or where we got some old people. Do you think all we do down here is just provide medicine based on religion? As long as it is in a location or business practice where it can sustain itself, it could be successful anywhere.

I suppose I could have said as long as you locate it where it is demographically favorable. It just seems to decrease convenience and therefore traffic to be without these items. From upstart pharmacy standpoint I'd say it's more about how patients expect us to provide medicine. I don't think that we are here just to provide medicine based on religion, but if we are "theoretically" limiting our products based on some seemingly apparent moral agenda, then that will have an affect on foot traffic. Locating it in a liberal area where denying patients access to contraception could cause negative publicity or an area with a high concentration of young adults where there would be a presumed increase need and therefore increased inconvenience would prove costly to a business wanting to compete with CVS or WAGS.
 
Oral contraceptives are a major class of drugs. People take them for other reasons besides contraception. I know of people who have taken them because of PCOS, cramps, acne and hirsutism.
Back in P-1 year, I had to shadow a pharmacist in a "Yuppie" area. It seemed like a quarter of the prescriptions were some form of contraception.
Mifepristone has been gaining use as a cancer medication.
 
Arthrotec, would also be out I suppose.

One more thing. Do you have a name for your pharmacy????
 
There are plenty of reasons why people would use the pill/other contraceptives besides baby protection. I, for instance, take birth control pills because my female hormone levels without them are insanely low. A married couple may use condoms if one partner has an STD from a previous marriage that they don't want to pass.

Good luck with your endeavors, but I would be pretty upset if I had to have an extremely hairy face and no breasts and no fertility because someone decided that I shouldn't have some help with hormones anymore 🙁
 
The pharmacy might do fine. Very few pharmacies actually stock true abortion meds and HPV vaccine isn't a huge seller in an outpatient pharmacy. Now if this included all contraception, your profits would take a big hit unless you can really position yourself to serve a religious niche market, otherwise anti-sex niche market, or run into people that will still come to you contrary to not agreeing with your beliefs. Given how this country is about wearing your beliefs and thoughts overtly on your sleeve, it really wouldn't surprise me if such a pharmacy found a following.
 
I would be pretty upset if I had to have an extremely hairy face and no breasts and no fertility because someone decided that I shouldn't have some help with hormones anymore 🙁

And so would everyone else, especially your bf. By the way, have you looked into BHRT? I started interning at an independent pharmacy that does multiple compounds per day for hormone replacement and works with patients by helping them follow their hormone levels with a saliva test. Their prescriptions can then be totally tailored for them. It's a really interesting area of pharmacy where patient/doctor/pharmacist work very well together.
 
nobody really answered your question...the answer is yes, it is legal to do so provided that in some states you will be required to provide information to the patient on where to go for health service...
Not really. Some places have must stock laws for commonly prescribed drugs. They are short sighted, but they have them.
 
would you advertise your pharmacy as "NOT carrying birth control and Plan B?"

not sure how it is around your little village, but people goto a pharmacy because it is close to home, convenient, in a strip mall, easy parking, etc.

i really don't know many people who choose a pharmacy based on ethics

like i said, i have no clue how people think in your neck of the woods........but to "open up" this late in the game and aiming to rival CVS and WAGs is insane.........

think small goals..........i mean, companies making BILLIONS like walmart and target are trying to compete with the "big boys"

if you ever do open up that pharmacy with a steeple and cross, then may i suggest you stock up on diapers, similac, chewable singulair tablets, and tylenol infant drops.........oh, don't forget those OTC ginger tablets and saltine crackers for all the moms with morning sickness
 
I personally would want my pharmacist to recommend/dispense medications for my health and not for his/her own religious beliefs.
 
agreed. my beliefs have nothing to do with it.

however, if you request it, I think a patient should be able to choose whether they get faith-minded* medical advice or not. Again, most of us would choose no, but I believe in that choice.

I probably wouldn't shop the OP's pharmacy and, like Old Timer says, wouldn't buy stock in it, but hey this is America...do what you want, and if the OP succeeds, more power to him/her.

*not to be confused with faith-based healing!
 
We don't require that all physicians perform abortions or prescribe contraceptives. Why would we require this of all pharmacists? Pharmacists have varied scopes of practice as well. What of the pharmacists who owns his own business and wishes only to compound? How about those who work for clinics that can't take outside prescriptions? I think sometimes that when we refer to pharmacists, we are thinking only of those who work in a retail chain setting. Laypeople may be expected to make that mistake, but we shouldn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We don't require that all physicians perform abortions or prescribe contraceptives.

Sorry, but what point were you trying to make? You're comparing apples to unicorns. Honda doesn't sell Fords any more than Starbucks sells Foldgers, nor are there laws requiring either to do so. But then again, neither are in the health care industry. Likewise, comparing someone who provides a health care service with someone who provides a health care product is equally ridiculous. Now if pharmacists were required to actually shove the pill down your throat you might have a leg to stand on, but they don't. The general public's health and well being supersedes your personal beliefs. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to renew your license.
 
Now if pharmacists were required to actually shove the pill down your throat you might have a leg to stand on, but they don't. The general public's health and well being supersedes your personal beliefs. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to renew your license.

😕 PC alert!
 
Sorry, but what point were you trying to make? You're comparing apples to unicorns. Honda doesn't sell Fords any more than Starbucks sells Foldgers, nor are there laws requiring either to do so. But then again, neither are in the health care industry. Likewise, comparing someone who provides a health care service with someone who provides a health care product is equally ridiculous. Now if pharmacists were required to actually shove the pill down your throat you might have a leg to stand on, but they don't. The general public's health and well being supersedes your personal beliefs. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to renew your license.
wow...******edness runs amock in this thread
 
Sorry, but what point were you trying to make? You're comparing apples to unicorns. Honda doesn't sell Fords any more than Starbucks sells Foldgers, nor are there laws requiring either to do so. But then again, neither are in the health care industry. Likewise, comparing someone who provides a health care service with someone who provides a health care product is equally ridiculous. Now if pharmacists were required to actually shove the pill down your throat you might have a leg to stand on, but they don't. The general public's health and well being supersedes your personal beliefs. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to renew your license.
When you go to pharmacy school, you will be surprised to find that you are an apple, not a unicorn.
 
I'm amazed by how a simple business plan can enrage some people. 😕 My proposed "alternative pharmacy" would be a flyspeck amongst the megachains - so why the fear and hate? Would you be equally upset if I planned on opening an adult book store with a pharmacy in the back? We'll stock extra viagra and abortion pills. Combo packs will sell at a discount 🙄
 
We don't require that all physicians perform abortions or prescribe contraceptives.

And that's basically been my stance on this issue all along. While I don't agree, and I think most people here don't agree, that contraceptives/PlanB is equivalent to abortion, the point is that some people do. And that is not a point worth arguing.

Pharmacists should not be forced to sell something that goes against their beliefs. And we are not forced to employee those pharmacists nor to patronize their businesses. It's absurdly simple, really. Everyone wins.
 
I'm sure this pharmacy would do really well if it were next to one of those non denominational (I accidentally typed demonational at first haha) mega churches.

you would actually do better near a Catholic church or denominations that disapprove of contraception

most nondenominational churches are indifferent to OC's
 
az- you might want to re-think pharmacy as a career if that is what you truly think. I am not being snide, really, but have you ever heard the term "pharmaceutical care"?
 
BTW, you better get on with your business. There is already a proposed plan to build an entire town in FL and market it towards a religious group (Catholics I'm pretty sure). This town would be free of all OCs, condoms, abortions etc, etc. (But lots of red wine!) Last I heard, the state was going to require them to post signs on the interstate stating bypassers were entering an area where such drugs could not be accessed. People were going nuts saying what if you got raped in the town (refering to the clergy I think, but am not sure) what would you do? Has anyone else heard this, it was a while back.
 
People were going nuts saying what if you got raped in the town (refering to the clergy I think, but am not sure)

So most clergy are rapists? Try posting something equally nasty about a Jew or Muslim and you won't last long on SDN.
 
Would you be equally upset if I planned on opening an adult book store with a pharmacy in the back? We'll stock extra viagra and abortion pills. Combo packs will sell at a discount 🙄

Now that sounds like a business plan that will work. Low overhead, target audience, perfect location.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more thing. Do you have a name for your pharmacy????

Falwell Farmacy
Closeminded Compounds
Moral Mixtures
Procreation Pharmacy
No Sex After Menopause Rx
HIV Patients Move to the Back of the Bus Drug store
 
Try "Serving an Unmet Demand Pharmacy".

Some people are offended their purchases at CVS and Walgreens fund more abortions. They would gladly drive an extra 5-10 miles to a pharmacy that does not.

Is a private clinic required to perform abortions on demand? Is an MD group required to prescribe a certain medication they are not comfortable with? So why should a private pharmacy? (those are rhetorical questions)
 
Try "Serving an Unmet Demand Pharmacy".

Some people are offended their purchases at CVS and Walgreens fund more abortions. They would gladly drive an extra 5-10 miles to a pharmacy that does not.

wtf??? care to back that up a little?