• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Above Center
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How do you open an addiction unit? Or a day hospitalization program? Or form intensive out patient programs? What are the regulatory hurdles what are the staffing standards? What are the minimum standards for an addiction unit? All details are welcome.

Ibid

Posting total rubbish
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2010
As you have opened a couple of these....the big money at the moment is in providing accomodation to illegal immigrants awaiting deportation.

If you are in the right spot services to victims of torture is booming as well.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Above Center
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As you have opened a couple of these....the big money at the moment is in providing accomodation to illegal immigrants awaiting deportation.

If you are in the right spot services to victims of torture is booming as well.
Huh?

About the Ads

Ibid

Posting total rubbish
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2010
I suppose you now want exact details of how to go about that as well now.

ppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhffffffffffffffffff......

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Above Center
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm completely lost on your vane of sarcasm or just not picking up on your pathology.

Manicsleep

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I don't really know. The APA may be able to help you.
The regulatory hurdles would probably be based on the type of beds you hope to open, although I wouldn't go down that road right from the start.

RE: IOP/PHP programs you may want to ask someone who has opened one. Again, go through the APA. Ask your own residency. Regulations also vary significantly from state to state and you may want to contact the state medical board for information.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Above Center
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I definitely wouldn't open one right out the gate from residency. Knowing this information would be nice for long term planning or just for the heck of it. Plus, some people on here are pursuing academics and if they are the chairs or nominated directors of a new unit, chances are they have to knew the regulatory hurdles of such a process.

I suspect there aren't really any regulations or permits behind IOP programs, but a day program complete with medication administration most likely would.

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
This is definitely an area where you hire someone else to do it for you.
I'm "medical director" of an addiction program, and am VERY happy to report that everything was up and running before they asked me aboard. This is the kind of thing we have administrators and :)eek:) lawyers for. It will, of course, vary by state jurisdiction. In addition, your payors may insist on certain requirements in order for you to be accredited by them.

We opened a new (additional 16 bed) unit 4 years ago--there was a crazy amount of regulation to navigate just to amend our state license for the addditional beds, satisfy codes, document staffing.... Hiring the staff docs is almost an afterthought.

About the Ads