Opening An Addiction Unit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you open an addiction unit? Or a day hospitalization program? Or form intensive out patient programs? What are the regulatory hurdles what are the staffing standards? What are the minimum standards for an addiction unit? All details are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

As you have opened a couple of these....the big money at the moment is in providing accomodation to illegal immigrants awaiting deportation.

If you are in the right spot services to victims of torture is booming as well.

As you have opened a couple of these....the big money at the moment is in providing accomodation to illegal immigrants awaiting deportation.

If you are in the right spot services to victims of torture is booming as well.
Huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you now want exact details of how to go about that as well now.

ppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhffffffffffffffffff......

I'm completely lost on your vane of sarcasm or just not picking up on your pathology.

I don't really know. The APA may be able to help you.
The regulatory hurdles would probably be based on the type of beds you hope to open, although I wouldn't go down that road right from the start.

RE: IOP/PHP programs you may want to ask someone who has opened one. Again, go through the APA. Ask your own residency. Regulations also vary significantly from state to state and you may want to contact the state medical board for information.

I definitely wouldn't open one right out the gate from residency. Knowing this information would be nice for long term planning or just for the heck of it. Plus, some people on here are pursuing academics and if they are the chairs or nominated directors of a new unit, chances are they have to knew the regulatory hurdles of such a process.

I suspect there aren't really any regulations or permits behind IOP programs, but a day program complete with medication administration most likely would.

This is definitely an area where you hire someone else to do it for you.
I'm "medical director" of an addiction program, and am VERY happy to report that everything was up and running before they asked me aboard. This is the kind of thing we have administrators and :)eek:) lawyers for. It will, of course, vary by state jurisdiction. In addition, your payors may insist on certain requirements in order for you to be accredited by them.

We opened a new (additional 16 bed) unit 4 years ago--there was a crazy amount of regulation to navigate just to amend our state license for the addditional beds, satisfy codes, document staffing.... Hiring the staff docs is almost an afterthought.