Ophthalmic Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on an Ophthalmology rotation and I was wondering about the anesthesia used for their procedures. I've mostly seen them just use topical anesthesia, but I was wondering if there are any procedures that require the presence of an anesthesiologist.

Obviously if theres something thats general anesthesia they would, but do any of you guys perform any local eye stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't, but have heard of high volume places where the anesthesiologists do the eye blocks. The ophto jumps from room to room ready to operate.

Those are usually retirement jobs for us.

I would also like to get paid $$$ to put alcaine drops into people's eyes. :cool::cool::cool::cool: Where are those jobs?!!?!? Retrobulbar blocks are also cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
they use general anesthesia I think only on the strabismus eye surgery cases, both children and adults. Otherwise, it is mostly topical.

I'm currently on an Ophthalmology rotation and I was wondering about the anesthesia used for their procedures. I've mostly seen them just use topical anesthesia, but I was wondering if there are any procedures that require the presence of an anesthesiologist.

Obviously if theres something thats general anesthesia they would, but do any of you guys perform any local eye stuff?

Probably a good idea to have an anesthesiologist around if you're doing any kind of retro/peribulbar blocks; you can end up with a "high spinal." Ophthalmologists do the blocks here, we do the case as a MAC. Occasionally some general cases as noted above.