• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Ophthalmic Anesthesia

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
I'm currently on an Ophthalmology rotation and I was wondering about the anesthesia used for their procedures. I've mostly seen them just use topical anesthesia, but I was wondering if there are any procedures that require the presence of an anesthesiologist.

Obviously if theres something thats general anesthesia they would, but do any of you guys perform any local eye stuff?

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
I don't, but have heard of high volume places where the anesthesiologists do the eye blocks. The ophto jumps from room to room ready to operate.

Those are usually retirement jobs for us.

About the Ads

WholeLottaGame7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Right here.
  1. Attending Physician
I'm currently on an Ophthalmology rotation and I was wondering about the anesthesia used for their procedures. I've mostly seen them just use topical anesthesia, but I was wondering if there are any procedures that require the presence of an anesthesiologist.

Obviously if theres something thats general anesthesia they would, but do any of you guys perform any local eye stuff?

Probably a good idea to have an anesthesiologist around if you're doing any kind of retro/peribulbar blocks; you can end up with a "high spinal." Ophthalmologists do the blocks here, we do the case as a MAC. Occasionally some general cases as noted above.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.