Ophthalmologist with shaky hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know any Ophthalmologists with shaky hands? My hands seem great right now, but who knows what will happen the first time I'm doing a corneal transplant or something.

What do you do if you become a resident, and you realize you have shaky hands? Ophthalmology has some surgeries that require some pretty sweet fine motor skills.

I don't think I'll have to worry about it, but it would be interesting to see if anyone has had that problem, or has seen someone with that problem.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't know until you do it. Most shakiness is due to anxiety. But most everyone is able to deal with it. If you have the shakes that you can't control, then finishing ophthalmology residency may be difficult.

Finishing residency won't be as much of a problem compared to having adequate surgical outcomes while you're in practice.

It's funny how quickly word spreads amongst the scrub nurses, techs, etc about the 'bad surgeon'. Hopefully, that won't be you.

-J

Our chief of the department had the shakiest hands I'd seen and routinely did excellent grafts. You're much better off with shaky hands than bad judgement. The ones that don't know their limits or abilities are much more dangerous.