Ophthalmology as a Canadian IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zywd

Reaction score
I am an Canadian on my second last year of medical school in Ireland looking to match into ophthalmology in the USA. I am well aware that this task is extremely difficult, especially with covid cancelling most American and all Canadian electives. I finished step 1 (257) and I’m planning on writing step 2 this summer. I currently have one paper unrelated to ophthalmology that will hopefully be published in the next year. I’ve connected with an ophthalmologists in Ireland who has agreed to help me get some publications for my CV (case reports/audits), and he’s advised me to write the Duke Elder exam (a UK based ophthalmology exam) which I’ll be writing in 2 months. I’m wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I could focus on to increase my chances of matching. Thanks a lot :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think case reports will cut it. You should consider spending a year or two in ophthalmology basic research and get your foot in the door.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Connections are even more important than publications. I agree with @Animalcules, you should take a research year in US or Canada before applying. And even then matching Ophtho is extremely extremely difficult as an IMG, so I would recommend double applying to a backup in both CARMS and US match.

Also you don't have any North American clinical experience, that's a huge problem!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Need to come to the USA and do some electives/spend clinical time. Consider a pre-residency fellowship for research. Might be unpaid. Go somewhere famous where the mentor has experience getting the person a match. You have good step 1 and I'm assuming English is your first language. Why did you go to Ireland? Feel free to answer in DM.

Connections are even more important than publications. I agree with @Animalcules, you should take a research year in US or Canada before applying. And even then matching Ophtho is extremely extremely difficult as an IMG, so I would recommend double applying to a backup in both CARMS and US match.

Also you don't have any North American clinical experience, that's a huge problem!
You need both. You can’t build connection without showing you are competent to pubs and do research lol.