Ophthalmology Pre-Residency Research Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkrivit820

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a final year IMG (Australia 4 year MD degree) with US citizenship (originally from Minnesota - thought I would stay in Aus forever, that plan has since changed). I graduate in December 2024, and will be in the United States from March-September for ophthal away elective and U.S based rotations (Oschner New Orleans). I did really well on Step 2 thankfully and think I am strong at making connections once I get back to the States, I just need a starting point :).

I'm looking for advice on organising pre-residency research programs for 2025/2026. Does anyone have any suggestions on these programs? Is cold emailing the best way to go? LinkedIn? Does anyone have any programs they recommend?

Would anyone recommend doing a PhD, MPH or other Master's instead of a research year? Pros/Cons?
Should you have a project planned prior to applying? Or just a rough idea of what you're interested in?
Are these positions paid?
Is there any way to get clinical experience during research years?
Can you work an additional job during research year (perhaps in ophthal field to get clinical experience?)
Can STEP 3 be taken before residency during fellowship year (just to get it over with)?

My research background:
- currently working on an audit of ROP in Australia (not yet published)
- 4th author on digital health clinical informations paper published in JMIR
- 3rd/4th author on two other publications in digital health currently under review
- conference presentation on digital health research

I'm interested in paediatrics, ophthalmology, digital health, technology in medicine, AI, and global outreach. I've got the background in digital health, just looking for some mentors in ophthalmology to help me develop a project for my research years.

Any advice or discussions is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will be very hard to nearly impossible to match optho as an IMG even with significant research. Students from low tier MD schools often have difficulties matching optho. In all likelihood these research years would end up be unpaid/extremely cheap labor. Most IMGs do multiple research years and even then it’s unlikely they match

Reactions: 1 user
paediatrics
As a red-blooded American ophthalmologist, I don't know which misspelling bothers me more.

Jokes aside:

There are a reasonable number of research fellowships out there. Not all are advertised, but if you Google "ophthalmology research fellowship" more than a few pop up. Obviously you would want to go to a big name place for connections and resources, but with your interests I think you would be able to find something as tech is on the upswing. Even if they're unofficial, places like Bascom, Harvard, Duke, etc. tend to have some places hanging around. If you can't find a research position, you can potentially find a "fellowship" if you want. The ocular pathology ones are almost always open. The positions generally do pay, but not well. Yes, you can also get clinical experience through mentors in these positions. Oschner is, not to be mean to them, not a big name in the field by any stretch of the imagination - aim higher.

I'll disagree with nearly impossible to match as an international grad, but agree with very hard. The SF Match stats for the last decade show about 15 or so per year, and the spreadsheet for this year shows at least 21, including one from the University of Queensland (maybe you can get in touch with that person). Those folks all likely have substantially larger research credentials, and many have likely already completed an ophthalmology residency in their home nation. If it's a comprehensive ROP audit for the nation and you're the first author, that may be significant enough to help. You're still talking probably at least 2 years to get competitive.

Other bits:
No to MPH, PhD, etc.
You can work if you want but it won't help your application
Have fun with Step 3 if you want to

Reactions: 1 user