Ophthalmology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophtho2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive the various ophtho fellowships are, or if some are more competitive than others? I've heard that once you match in ophtho, securing a fellowship is not very difficult. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Like all things in life - it depends on what you're looking for.

Retina, cornea and plastics fellowships are usually hot items and thus tend to be more competitive. Pathology, uveitis and pediatric ophthalmology fellowships tend to be less competitive. And glaucoma, neuro and various combinations of the rest are in the middle.

If you want to be in a "desirable" part of the country or at a very "prestigious" university, then you should polish up the old CV if you know what I mean. :)

The popularity of cornea fellowship has waned last 1-2 years as LASIK boom is settling down.

Retina also was not as competitive this past match as it was last 2-3 years.

Glaucoma fellowship applications were up three-fold this past match compared to the previous year.

Everything changes - don't count on anything.

As I always tell people, do what you like & like what you do...

The better programs are always competitive regardless of which subspecialty. However, if you're willing to be in any program (academic or private), then there are always fellowship positions available just for you.

For instance, there are unmatched positions for retina every year. If you visit these programs, then you'll know why. ;)