Ophthalmology in the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCC108050

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I offend anyone by posting this in two different threads (posted in Military thread also) but,

I would see if anyone on here has served on active duty in the Army or Air Force as an ophthalmologist. Would like to know what a regular day was like and what your surgery volume was? Did you have to moonlight to keep up your skills and such? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me if I offend anyone by posting this in two different threads (posted in Military thread also) but,

I would see if anyone on here has served on active duty in the Army or Air Force as an ophthalmologist. Would like to know what a regular day was like and what your surgery volume was? Did you have to moonlight to keep up your skills and such? Thanks for any help.

I'm not in the military, but I know people that have gone through or are currently in a military Ophthalmology residency. If you're serving the Army or Air Force as an Ophthalmologist from what I can tell you're seeing plenty of clinical and surgical volume but I don't have specific numbers. Not sure what you mean by moonlighting to keep up skills. To what skills are you referring? Not many moonlighting opportunities in Ophthalmology anyway.

Thanks. Do you think one of your friends would mind if I email them sometime with some specific military ophthalmology questions? Thanks for your help again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a former military ophthalmologist. The answer to your question is "it varies." If you have a good assignment you'll probably have a decent surgical volume. However, you could also get detailed as a brigade surgeon and do zero surgery. Unfortunately there are not many surgical moonlighting opportunities in ophthalmology.

Thanks for the info Mirror Form. This is exactly what I was worried about. I was unaware of the brigade surgeon position before. I'll probably still join (prior service), but at least I have a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into now. Do you know how often this actually happens to ophthalmologist and how they are handle after their two year tour? Thanks again for your help.