Ophthalmology - research year or nah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedayeyedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current M3 who is not sure whether to do a research year or apply to straight to ophthalmology. I am from a low-tier MD program without a home program, but am expecting a to receive a research letter plus 2 ophthalmology letters from ophthalmologists that I have worked with over the past year. My biggest concern is limited research in ophthalmology. Appreciate any advice, stats are below:

-Step 1: 244, Step 2: not yet taken
-MPH epidemiology
-Leadership positions in volunteer groups
-Research: 7 publications. 2-ophthalmology related case reports in small journals. 1 first author ophthalmology publication in small journal. 4 first author non-ophthalmology pubs.

Thank you for your time! Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It might help to ask yourself what you consider to be the weak part of your application and what the research year will add to your application. You already have a lot of quality publications, including a 1st author ophthalmology publication, an MPH, a research letter, and seem to have connections made within the field.

Your step 1 is good but slightly below average for Ophtho. I think crushing Step 2 + doing a bunch of away rotations may be bigger bang for your buck. You could of course do that on top of a research year. Either way it may be better to speak with your mentors on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I'm not at all banking on crushing Step 2, so I am going the more conservative route at the moment and planning the research year to have more to demonstrate and speak about for residency apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m an ophtho resident. I think you’ll have no problem matching. Good score, good pubs (and ophtho related), and 2 LORs from ophthalmologists is a solid app. Are they influential ophthalmologists by any chance?

Of course there’s always the risk of not matching in this super competitive field. But I honestly think you’ll match. Probably not at top programs like Iowa, Bascom, Wills but I think you could match at mid tier programs! Let me know if you have any questions.

I’m an ophtho resident. I think you’ll have no problem matching. Good score, good pubs (and ophtho related), and 2 LORs from ophthalmologists is a solid app. Are they influential ophthalmologists by any chance?

Of course there’s always the risk of not matching in this super competitive field. But I honestly think you’ll match. Probably not at top programs like Iowa, Bascom, Wills but I think you could match at mid tier programs! Let me know if you have any questions.
@Baller2016 thanks for the advice.

No major ophthalmologists for LORs, they are two community docs that are surgery faculty at the university.

Current ophtho publications have been a challenge, of those mention previously only one (small case report) is published, the other (also small) two are in review. No projects on the horizon, no current poster/presentation opportunities.

Last edited: