Ophthalmology schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to be an eye doctor, and I m wondering how accurate this website is:

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/d/b/Ophthalmology

It says UCSF has the best opthalmology program, and I don't doubt UCSF is a great school.

But are there med schools that are not super top notch and still have good ophthalomoglty program?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean residency programs or are you talking about departments?

Going to a school with a dedicated department can help with networking, letters, research and rotations that might give you an edge in the match. Going to a school with an associated hospital that has a residency program in the specialty of interest will also be helpful for similar reasons.

Bottom line, get into the best school you can that covers as many of your specifications as possible (location, cost, departments, etc.), because your interests are likely to diversify and change over the years.

Also -- since you're interested in working with the eye -- look into optometry (OD) programs.

Do you mean residency programs or are you talking about departments?

Going to a school with a dedicated department can help with networking, letters, research and rotations that might give you an edge in the match. Going to a school with an associated hospital that has a residency program in the specialty of interest will also be helpful for similar reasons.

Bottom line, get into the best school you can that covers as many of your specifications as possible (location, cost, departments, etc.), because your interests are likely to diversify and change over the years.

Also -- since you're interested in working with the eye -- look into optometry (OD) programs.

thank you for your advice!

Well the list just shows the "ophthalmology schools from best", so I just assumed they have ophthalomolgy departments, meaning they have residencies as well(or can schools have residency in specific field without having that department?)

Am I too early to think about residencies? Also, I am interested in doing eye surgeries and stuff. Does optometry cover that as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about "ophthalmology schools" until you're in med school. Optometrists can do very minimal surgery but I would say the majority of surgical procedures regarding the eye are done by ophthalmologist.

thank you for your advice!

Well the list just shows the "ophthalmology schools from best", so I just assumed they have ophthalomolgy departments, meaning they have residencies as well(or can schools have residency in specific field without having that department?)

Am I too early to think about residencies? Also, I am interested in doing eye surgeries and stuff. Does optometry cover that as well?
When looking at schools to apply to, when the time comes, you can tailor your application like I mentioned above. Look at the department list at various schools and see what residencies are offered at their associated hospital(s), if they have such.

It's definitely too early to be thinking about specific specialties because, until you are exposed to them really for the first time as a 3rd/4th year student, you really have nothing to go on aside from what you can read on the Internet and what you can imagine. While having interests is fine, it's best to remain open to the possibilities and be excited to be training to be a physician, above all else.

You should look at the scope of practice of optometry in your state and any you're interested in living in to see if it's a career that will meet your practice interests. Optometrists are non-physicians.

As an aspiring ophthalmologist in your same spot, I generally agree with the advice already given. From the advice I have taken from MDs IRL, my plan is to focus on simply getting into a medical school, and working hard to crush classes and the USMLE. I will worry about an ophtho residency when the time comes. There are several posts about great ophtho matches in other areas of SDN.

I wouldn't worry about "ophthalmology schools" until you're in med school. Optometrists can do very minimal surgery but I would say the majority of surgical procedures regarding the eye are done by ophthalmologist.

I currently work in an eye care clinic, and optometrists (ODs) are permitted to do minor procedures in the exam lane, not surgery. In very few states some surgical privileges are given to ODs. If you are thinking of doing glaucoma surgery or cataract repair, a career in ophthalmology (MD) is it. Optometrists unfortunately cannot perform surgical procedures but are very well respected in their own right. Whatever career you choose, you will be a qualified provider of ocular care. Just be sure to make friends with the other eye community.
Best of luck in your admissions cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@paul2752 You do one year of residency in another specialty then you transition into ophthalmology if they take you on.

Reactions: 1 user