Ophtho residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just checked out the SF Match application site and downloaded the initial application... However, I'm a bit confused about their requirement for IMG's (i'll be graduating in the spring from a Caribbean school) to INCLUDE an ECFMG certificate along with the application... How is it possible for this to be accurate? Do they expect us to not apply while we are in our last year of residency? Isn't that discrimination if "US Seniors" can apply during their last year of school? What difference does it really make if I include my ECFMG certificate after I've been accepted and before residency starts as opposed to before I even apply... This really makes no sense to me at all. Someone please clarify this for me; I truly am frustrated...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry for your frustrations. The ECFMG certificate assures that non-US medical schools are equivalent to US programs. Thus, residency programs require this certificate when you apply. I don't know if there is a way around this.

You may have to take a year off, do research, and then apply to ophthalmology.

Good luck.

I've been going thru these forums for a while now and the've been a great help. Being a future IMG who is really interested in ophthalmology I would like to ask what kind of research position helps the most ? Should it be paid ( that helps anyways ! ) , focussed on a specific subject . How important is it to get published ?
Thanks

My opinion about research is that it doesn't matter if it's paid or not, but it will matter most to your pocket book. You don't have to focus on any specific subject as long as it is worthy of scientific review and presentation. Peer reviewed publications help greatly.