Opinion from URM standpoint?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pls.stop2018

Reaction score
This is reposted from the MCAT discussion, as some said I should get URM opinions as well.

This cycle I am applying with the fee waiver, thus all I have had to pay for is my MCAT. I have submitted my application and it has been verified and sent out to 16 schools (2 of which are my state schools KY), however, all schools will be waiting for my MCAT score. I take the MCAT this Friday (July 20). I have scored a 496 (AAMC FL1) and 495 (AAMC FL2) within the past few weeks. I plan to take the third tomorrow. I am very involved, have had leadership opportunities, plenty of shadowing, volunteering (although none is clinical). I am a URM (black) and my science GPA is 3.57 and Cum GPA 3.70. I currently attend Louisville for undergrad and it is my top choice. I know that my MCAT score is what is holding me back, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I began studying mid-May. After I take the exam on Friday, I am considering continuing my studies more in-depth in the content (I didn't prepare far enough in advance) and then retaking it September 18th, IF my score improves over that 2 month period. OR I can just retake it in Feb/March and apply again next cycle, but I will no longer have the fee waiver...Any advice/opinions will be helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My best advice, if I was in your position I would use one year to take the test (because your score is not improving therefore sched for last test of the year). rolling into march of next year get all my rec letters along with HEAVY research about the schools I am applying to, submit my application as soon as AMCAS opens so I can get verified ASAP and the world is yours.

YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THE MCAT THIS FRIDAY!!! *unless you do a final diagnostic before the test and get 504*

as for fee waiver unless you plan on getting a job that makes over $36000 per year for a single person and unless your parents make crazy money you can probably get it again.

Reactions: 6 users
This is reposted from the MCAT discussion, as some said I should get URM opinions as well.

This cycle I am applying with the fee waiver, thus all I have had to pay for is my MCAT. I have submitted my application and it has been verified and sent out to 16 schools (2 of which are my state schools KY), however, all schools will be waiting for my MCAT score. I take the MCAT this Friday (July 20). I have scored a 496 (AAMC FL1) and 495 (AAMC FL2) within the past few weeks. I plan to take the third tomorrow. I am very involved, have had leadership opportunities, plenty of shadowing, volunteering (although none is clinical). I am a URM (black) and my science GPA is 3.57 and Cum GPA 3.70. I currently attend Louisville for undergrad and it is my top choice. I know that my MCAT score is what is holding me back, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I began studying mid-May. After I take the exam on Friday, I am considering continuing my studies more in-depth in the content (I didn't prepare far enough in advance) and then retaking it September 18th, IF my score improves over that 2 month period. OR I can just retake it in Feb/March and apply again next cycle, but I will no longer have the fee waiver...Any advice/opinions will be helpful!!!

hey there, I wanted to send you a pm but it won't let me, presumably because you are a new member. make a few more posts to enable pms or send me one if you can. I have something for you.