Opinion on ankle braces and low top basketball shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spo01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw another thread on what kind of shoes do you wear and wanted to ask a more specific question. Basketball season is coming up and I'm looking for a new pair of shoes. How much would you say ankle braces (ex: McDavid) vs taping and high tops help in preventing sprains and do you find they take away speed/agility in an athlete? It seems obvious that more ankle stability comes from combining the two but I've heard mixed things, and both times I severly sprained my ankle in high school I was in high tops where I was taped up or wearing an ankle brace. I always hated wearing them. This year I was going to go with a low top basketball shoe (ex: Kobes or something along those lines) with a McDavid ankle brace.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of factors involved, including the actual shoe, your anatomy, your foot structure, your foot function and your level of play.

It also depends on whether you've already damaged your ligaments, whether your tendon is attenuated, etc. Only you can tell if you truly need the use of a brace.

Patients who chronically "sprain" their ankle, often do so because they tear the small proprioceptive fibers in their ankle. As a result, when their ankle begins to twist (usually invert), the body's natural feedback to the brain isn't functioning via the proprioceptive fibers and the foot/ankle continues to invert and sustains an injury.

In a "healthy" patient that has not had a chronic injury to this area, the proprioceptive fibers are intact. When the ankle (or more accurately the subtalar joint) begins to invert, the proprioceptive fibers send a signal back to the brain and as a reflex you correct the problem and straighten out the foot.

That's why physical therapy often includes proprioceptive training.

However, IF you decide to utilize an ankle brace, my preference is DEFINITELY the ASO ankle brace (without the plastic inserts) You can google ASO ankle brace and you'll easily find the product. To me, it's the absolute best ankle brace on the market. It provides excellent support and allows for adjustments for inversion/eversion and is relatively low bulk so it fits in most athletic footwear.

I have highly competitive soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball, lacrosse , field hockey and football players all wearing this brace. And it's one of the only products made in the good 'ol U.S.A.

spo01,

I know I'm a pre-pod but I played football and ran track collegiately so I've had some experience with a number of sports related injuries. I'm sure you've done you're homework and research as well so I'll keep it brief. If you have a past history of ankle injuries my advice is to stay far away from taping and stick with a brace recommended by someone who's had a great deal of success with one particular brand (ie PADPM and ASO). A good tape job (even with a training staff working on your ankle) is truly effective for only 30-45 minutes. IMO tape was just a security blanket for most of the guys on our team. And those guys that really needed the tape got re-taped around 4 times every game.

Note: My roommate played basketball and his favorite pair of shoes were the Huarache's but they were more of a hi-top, and they had a 3/4 length pair of Shox but he always claimed they felt "heavier". No word on the newest pair of Kobe's other than he got one of Kobe's actually pairs, I guess nobody else working at Nike wanted a size 14, purple and black shoe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just read an article about bracing vs no bracing with regard to ankle injury prevention a couple days ago.

I can find the article again for you if you are interested, but the basic conclusion was that bracing/taping did have a positive impact on preventing re injury and very little benefit for previously healthy ankles.

The article also found that the proprioceptive factors PADPM talked about played a large role in the efficacy of the bracing.

The braces were not found to be strong enough to physically prevent the ankle from being traumatically injured.

Patients who chronically "sprain" their ankle, often do so because they tear the small proprioceptive fibers in their ankle. As a result, when their ankle begins to twist (usually invert), the body's natural feedback to the brain isn't functioning via the proprioceptive fibers and the foot/ankle continues to invert and sustains an injury.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I will look into the ASO right now my McDavids need a replacement. I see athletes balancing themselves on one foot on one of those half circle exercise balls trying to strengthen the fibers/joint. Can you regain a good amount of strength back to such an area? I know things are never going to be 100% but some injuries you can regain a good amount of what you lost and some injuries are a burden for life.

Note: My roommate played basketball and his favorite pair of shoes were the Huarache's but they were more of a hi-top, and they had a 3/4 length pair of Shox but he always claimed they felt "heavier". No word on the newest pair of Kobe's other than he got one of Kobe's actually pairs, I guess nobody else working at Nike wanted a size 14, purple and black shoe?

I'm debating between a lot of pairs. The Huaraches look nice but a lil too heavy for my liking, atleast at the point guard spot.
Kobe V- Nice and simple shoe, but I just can't justify paying $130 for a low top just to get a name. The front foot seems to be too narrow for me which led me to:
Kobe IV- Similar to Kobe V but a bit wider front foot from what I'm told. I am considering these if I can find it sub $100.
Hyperizes- currently the leader of the gang. This shoe is LIGHT and widest at the front. I feel it gives more of a 'propulsion' forward as opposed to the other shoes which seemed to place much of my weight on my rearfoot which I didn't like. I've heard of problems with the shoe bending 'funny' and logo peeling off though.
Hyperdunks-the one kobe 'jumped over' the car in for that commercial. I found the low tops to be nice but too narrow. Super light shoe.

Lebron and Dwight Howard shoes are too bulky for me. Wade is too expensive. Even looked into the pumps to bring it back old school lol.

I actually just read an article about bracing vs no bracing with regard to ankle injury prevention a couple days ago.

I can find the article again for you if you are interested, but the basic conclusion was that bracing/taping did have a positive impact on preventing re injury and very little benefit for previously healthy ankles.

The article also found that the proprioceptive factors PADPM talked about played a large role in the efficacy of the bracing.

The braces were not found to be strong enough to physically prevent the ankle from being traumatically injured.

Thanks, I'm actually looking at one now ha. It is saying basically the same thing, I was kinda surprized that the braces were actually preferred to taping.

I picked up the Nike Zoom BB for around $60 bucks a while back.

Comes in a low and a mid, verrrrrry light, nice and stable in the forefoot, good cushioning for a zoom only shoe. I'd buy them again. :thumbup:

Edit: you mentioned playing point, if I remember correctly I believe these were actually Steve Nash's game shoes a couple seasons back.

Last edited:
spo01 said:
Hyperizes- currently the leader of the gang. This shoe is LIGHT and widest at the front. I feel it gives more of a 'propulsion' forward as opposed to the other shoes which seemed to place much of my weight on my rearfoot which I didn't like. I've heard of problems with the shoe bending 'funny' and logo peeling off though.

I've seen the problems with the shoes construction and a subsequent "re-order" for an entire team because of it. If they are your favorite and aren't gonna get a ton of use (more than a few times a week), then go for it, especially if you can get a good deal on em. And you should have no problem finding the Kobe IV's sub $100.

Here's a link to the ASO website. I recommend the "basic" model without the plastic inserts. You can do a google search and find the brace for about 32 bucks.

http://www.asoankle.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=information.ShowAsoInformation

ASO brace arrived in the mail today, very nice.

I've seen the problems with the shoes construction and a subsequent "re-order" for an entire team because of it. If they are your favorite and aren't gonna get a ton of use (more than a few times a week), then go for it, especially if you can get a good deal on em. And you should have no problem finding the Kobe IV's sub $100.

I'm actually having a rough time finding them for sub $100 in black. I found them on ebay but s/h is $17 for a total of $112. Have you heard anything about Sports Authority shoe insurance? You can return the shoes within 1.5 years for a new pair. They said you can return them due to wear and tear which if that's the case I would never buy a new pair under this plan. It sounds too good to be true and I'm always skeptical on these things but as I was waiting in line another person returned them and I saw them receive new pairs.

spo01 said:
I'm actually having a rough time finding them for sub $100 in black. I found them on ebay but s/h is $17 for a total of $112. Have you heard anything about Sports Authority shoe insurance? You can return the shoes within 1.5 years for a new pair. They said you can return them due to wear and tear which if that's the case I would never buy a new pair under this plan. It sounds too good to be true and I'm always skeptical on these things but as I was waiting in line another person returned them and I saw them receive new pairs.

Dang, thats a deal! I haven't heard of the insurance but I bet I know why they do it. I've been selling cars until school starts and you see a lot of lifetime warranties being sold for $3-4 grand because the company is banking on you trading or selling the car within 3 years (about average for American's these days). The warranty is only good for the original owner and they know they wont have to pay out since a new car at 36k miles isn't going to need anything major. With the shoes, I would bet they are hoping, A) you forget about the warranty (less likely) or B) that the shoe will hold up for that time period and even if it doesn't they will no longer carry your shoe (new styles arrive every year, so yours has been discontinued). If anything it gives you a reason to go back into sports authority and be tempted to buy other gear (clothes, more shoes, equipment, etc.). People make money off of warranties or they wouldn't sell them. However, if you are the guy that isn't gonna fall in the warranties' traps then they usually are a great deal for the consumer. Just my opinion.

spo01,

I'm glad you took my "advice" regarding the ASO brace. I'm confident you'll be satisfied with the product. Over my years in practice I've seen and tried almost every brace on the market, and the ASO is my favorite. There are a lot of cheap imitations, but in my opinion, the ASO is still the best and my preference since it's made in the U.S.A.

I've always been heavily involved with competitive soccer as a player, parent, coach, mentor, etc. There are very few quality braces that function well and will fit comfortably in a soccer "boot" and under a shin pad comfortably, but the ASO fills that role.

Interestingly, there is a company named "Active Ankle" that really "owns" the volleyball market. They seem to have found their niche market and sponsor many events, etc., though I'm not crazy about their product. My neighbor's daughter is a very competitive volleyball player and the entire high school AND club volleyball team was wearing the Active Ankle brace (most players wear them prophylactically). Well, I introduced her to the ASO brace and when the other players and parents saw her brace and more importantly TRIED the ASO, the players on both teams converted to the ASO and the teams have the lowest injury rate in both teams histories.

The beauty of the ASO is that after it's laced up and the straps are adjusted, it's designed so when you stand, you can undo one of the straps and grab the "loop" on the top of the strap and pull it tighter while weightbearing to limit eversion or inversion (you usually want to limit inversion to prevent lateral ankle injuries), which makes the brace easily adjustable during competition. You can actually feel the brace working.

Keep me filled in on how it's working for you.