Opinion on summer clinical trials internship opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiterhino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should do the same internship again this summer. Last summer I was an intern for a cancer clinical trials research company. I mainly read reports submitted by doctors on their study patients and did data entry from the reports on drugs, patient info, symptoms, and etc. Also got a lot of good educational opportunities learning about cancer and oncology from nurses and researchers. I was wondering how this will appear to ADCOMs even though there was no direct patient exposure. Does this count as research experience? I am trying to decide if I should do it again next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have other experiences already? Community service/volunteer work? Have you already worked with patients in a clinical setting? If not, that might be something to think about.

My feeling is that you should look into other experiences unless there's an opportunity to take on greater responsibilities or new projects (e.g. independent research) in this internship. You don't want to do the exact same thing two summers in a row.

I currently volunteer in the emergency room and in the clinic at an elementary school. I was also wondering if the experience I had last summer will be looked upon positively by ADCOMS or if they won't really care about it.