Other Opinion on these residencies and DO applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodandguts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a very long-term planner, please ignore my pre-med status. I don't like limiting my future options from planning that is going on in the present. There are several different specialties of medicine I'm interested in and I'm curious at how disadvantaged/challenging it would be to break into these careers as a DO. I know technically any is open, if you are top of your class, but as a DO with just "good" grades, what is possible (easier/noncompetitive, moderate difficult, impossible, any measure you like!) out of these options.

1) Psychiatry residency, fellowship to Forensic Psychiatry.

2) General Surgery Residency

3) EM Residency

4) IM Residency, then fellowship to Oncology.

5) IM Residency, then fellowship to ID.

6) Combined EM/IM program.

7) Pathology residency, then Forensic Pathology fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

This shouldn't be in this section, as this is for advertising open residency spots. But let me give you my thoughts:

1. Noncompetitive, unsure about fellowship
2. Hard, you should consider applying both MD and DO residencies to ensure a spot
3. Not as hard as 2, consider applying both MD and DO residencies to ensure a spot
4 and 5. not as hard as 3
6. ???
7. Noncompetitive, unsure about fellowship

In any case, if do well in your pre-clinicals, rock the COMLEX and/or USMLE, and be a teachable student in your rotations, I don't see how any of these are off limits to you. Shoot for the stars I say.

None of these residencies are particularly competitive. The most competitive one is general surgery but even that is achievable with average Step 1 scores. DO won't affect your chances in these fields

PM me if you have further questions