Aug 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'm currently a Sophomore majoring in Chemistry. I just receive academic dishonesty for my psych class. I took it online and my videos couldn't be seen so i was granted that. Long story but I'm stuck with it. I'm scared that i won't get into medical school or have a chance anymore. This class wasn't for my major, it was a side class and when i graduate I'll have at least a 3.0 in my major. i'm also doing 2 minors for sure - biomedical physics and mathematics. im debating on a biology minor right now. I'm not sure if a should do a masters then apply for medical school. Maybe that will overlook academic dishonesty. I know that the application have 15 things for me to state and i will have the volunteering and shadowing. I will also have research and 3 progressive health care jobs on it (Pharmacy technician, EMT, phlebotomist). I really wanna be a surgeon, its what I've dreamed of since i was little. Do i still have a shot at medical school? Think i should do a masters and then apply?

walloobi

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2014
The capital of Maine, which is Montpelier Vermont
Status
Medical Student
So I'm currently a Sophomore majoring in Chemistry. I just receive academic dishonesty for my psych class. I took it online and my videos couldn't be seen so i was granted that. Long story but I'm stuck with it. I'm scared that i won't get into medical school or have a chance anymore. This class wasn't for my major, it was a side class and when i graduate I'll have at least a 3.0 in my major. i'm also doing 2 minors for sure - biomedical physics and mathematics. im debating on a biology minor right now. I'm not sure if a should do a masters then apply for medical school. Maybe that will overlook academic dishonesty. I know that the application have 15 things for me to state and i will have the volunteering and shadowing. I will also have research and 3 progressive health care jobs on it (Pharmacy technician, EMT, phlebotomist). I really wanna be a surgeon, its what I've dreamed of since i was little. Do i still have a shot at medical school? Think i should do a masters and then apply?
How exactly did you get the IA?

No, a master's degree won't make up for academic dishonesty.

Reactions: NeedACar and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
These types of infractions tend to be quite lethal for medical schools. A long period of exemplary behavior with positions of responsibility may be the only thing that can save you.

The reasoning Adcoms use is "is this the type of person we want in our Class?" and "Why take a risk in this person when we have so many other candidates who didn't cheat?"

So I'd start working on Plan B.

Reactions: NeedACar
Sep 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
As everyone else said, It's going to hurt you- a lot. but it doesn't mean you have no chance. Have a backup plan ready.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
A lot of schools may ask for a deans letter upon admission, its not worth the risk
Uh no... I know of 0 people who had to get a deans letter to matriculate. And I know a lot of people who have matriculated.

There was a thread last week of a guy who didn't realize he had an IA and found out once he sent the letter in after acceptance. Point is, it does happen.