Opinion to MCAT date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doit4humanity

It's Morphin' Time!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So the plan I had set up few months ago was changed and pushed back a bit, below is my new DIY plan that I'm currently working on. My question is I wanted to start applying in 2017 and start med school on 2018 but that would mean taking the MCAT right after Ochem 1 and last sequence of physic. Is this is feasible schedule? Since I will be missing Biochem and Ochem 2 before taking the MCAT. Once again, any advice is appreciated. You guys have been a great help.

upload_2015-9-17_13-56-53.png

Members don't see this ad.

I had an advisor address a similar question for a colleague of mine. Essentially, he said that it's possible to take the MCAT and get everything ready without finishing the ochem or taking biochem, but why rush it? Applying to medical school is something you only want to do once (taking the MCAT is also something you only want to do once) so why not take the time to "get it right"? Ultimately, you need a strong score on the MCAT which means putting in the time to prepare for it. You also need a strong application, which takes time. You are going to have to decide whether you can self study the material that you haven't covered in class, while taking ochem and physics while studying for the mcat, and preparing applications.

I'll be in a similar boat in 2017 except that I will have just finished biochem in May. My plan is to take the summer to prepare for the MCAT and prepare my application for the next cycle. I also work full-time and know I won't be able to prepare for the MCAT adequately while finishing up my classes.

Hi Guys,

So the plan I had set up few months ago was changed and pushed back a bit, below is my new DIY plan that I'm currently working on. My question is I wanted to start applying in 2017 and start med school on 2018 but that would mean taking the MCAT right after Ochem 1 and last sequence of physic. Is this is feasible schedule? Since I will be missing Biochem and Ochem 2 before taking the MCAT. Once again, any advice is appreciated. You guys have been a great help.

View attachment 196238