Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bacchus

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's everyone doing? I'm positng this here because the other forum is turning into a stomping ground and I'm not in the mindset to deal with that right now. This semester is coming to a close and I am doing alright, but it has been difficult. I've taken four heavy science classes this semester (analytical chem, biochem, pchem, and microbio) because of the design of my major and I have done "less than stellar." Over my previous year's GPA I'm looking at a potential drop from .2 to .4 (not cumulative). This drop, coupled with the higher courseload, worries me because it may appear that I'm not capable of handling multiple sciences although this past sophomore year I did have three and performed quite well. I don't have a "family death card" or "sickness card" that has affected me. I honestly feel it may have been the courseload. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks so much, and for those of you waiting for acceptances, I'm sure it will work out. :)

Members don't see this ad.

How's everyone doing? I'm positng this here because the other forum is turning into a stomping ground and I'm not in the mindset to deal with that right now. This semester is coming to a close and I am doing alright, but it has been difficult. I've taken four heavy science classes this semester (analytical chem, biochem, pchem, and microbio) because of the design of my major and I have done "less than stellar." Over my previous year's GPA I'm looking at a potential drop from .2 to .4 (not cumulative). This drop, coupled with the higher courseload, worries me because it may appear that I'm not capable of handling multiple sciences although this past sophomore year I did have three and performed quite well. I don't have a "family death card" or "sickness card" that has affected me. I honestly feel it may have been the courseload. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks so much, and for those of you waiting for acceptances, I'm sure it will work out. :)

Well, if you havnt been accepted yet then I would say that as long as your semester GPA is above a 3.5 and your semester science gpa is above a 3.5 i wouldnt worry. However, if you have been accepted than if you simply get above a 3.0 i think you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
in that case do as well as you can. Make sure you cum science is above a 3.4 and ur cum gpa is above a 3.5 and you should have no worries. If ur cum and science slip into the 3.3 range, then youll just have to make up for that on the MCAT

good luck

in that case do as well as you can. Make sure you cum science is above a 3.4 and ur cum gpa is above a 3.5 and you should have no worries.

good luck

Not always true, trending down is bad, esp if the trend is based on upper level sciences (the type of stuff that might actually show up in medical school). There is a difference between a student with a 3.4 with an upward trend and one with a downward trend, at least during my interview process. This is kind of concerning, in terms of your application.

That being said, there are things you can do. Doing really well on the MCAT can "wipe the slate." The other thing, at least IMO, is don't be a hero in terms of your corseload. Take an extra semester, extra year, whatever, if you can't handle it. Don't pack it all in just because you want to finish on time and have an application time table in mind. You will get no extra credit for finishing in 8 semesters rather than 9 or 10...at the end of the day it is about GPA/MCAT and "the upward trend."

Not always true, trending down is bad, esp if the trend is based on upper level sciences (the type of stuff that might actually show up in medical school). There is a difference between a student with a 3.4 with an upward trend and one with a downward trend, at least during my interview process. This is kind of concerning, in terms of your application.

That being said, there are things you can do. Doing really well on the MCAT can "wipe the slate." The other thing, at least IMO, is don't be a hero in terms of your corseload. Take an extra semester, extra year, whatever, if you can't handle it. Don't pack it all in just because you want to finish on time and have an application time table in mind. You will get no extra credit for finishing in 8 semesters rather than 9 or 10...at the end of the day it is about GPA/MCAT and "the upward trend."
Good advice. I have had an upward trend (I hate throwing around numbers): 3.2 --> 3.4 --> 3.7 --> 3.7. But now this semester has come. I didn't stack sciences, it is how the curriculum is layed out. If its only this semester and I rebound for the remaining semesters is the blip going to be a huge eyesore?

Good advice. I have had an upward trend (I hate throwing around numbers): 3.2 --> 3.4 --> 3.7 --> 3.7. But now this semester has come. I didn't stack sciences, it is how the curriculum is layed out. If its only this semester and I rebound for the remaining semesters is the blip going to be a huge eyesore?

what college you at?

I think that adcoms will overlook one bad semester, if your overall GPA is good and you've done well most other semesters.

For what it's worth, I think anyone would recognize that these classes are some of the most difficult. You have my sympathy with pchem alone. ;)

My advice: just try to do what you can for this semester and next time don't overload yourself so much. I respect that you tried to take all those difficult classes at once, but unfortunately (in this process) grades seem to matter more than the challenge of coursework that you take.

Good luck!

I don't give that out, really. Its a professional school in Philadelphia.

well you have still have finals left. Even though ur grades for this semester may have been a little below par, you have to understand that the semester is only half over once finals begin. (kinda like the marathon is only half over when you reach the 20 mile mark. Since, even though the bulk of the race has already been run once you reach the twenty mile mark, the hardest and most important part is the last 6 miles. So my advice to you is to finish strong and have a good thanksgiving)

Don't worry about it man, Life is a learning experience, if they ask you why you messed up at the interview, just be honest and tell them that the course load got to you but with good time management you could have done much better. Also, if you show an instance where you had success due to your time management and organizational skills, then it may help. Good luck.

Oh yea, just don't fail any classes, try to do "C" or better.