Opinions needed on when I should take the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue39*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the test spots have started to fill up and I need to register. The dates I am looking for are april 24, 25 or may 9,15,16. I am only taking 6 credits this semester with a part time job that does not require much work/ I can study during work. Surrounding the april test date I have an exam for a relatively easy class on the 27 and physical chemistry on the 15, and in may I have one final for physical chemistry on the 6th. I don't want to take the mcat too late so If anyone could provide their thoughts it would be helpful in determining when I should take it.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, you can get whatever test day you want- people cancel/reschedule their MCAT all the time, so if you really want to take it in April, just check the registration website every day, and eventually a spot will open up.

You can take your exam as late as roughly June 15th and still be on time for the application cycle. If you take it on June 15th, you would receive your scores by roughly mid July, and as long as everything else is complete with your primary application, then you can probably submit your secondaries by the end of July.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

It entirely depends on you and how you're doing with your preparation. The April dates are a little over three months away with the May dates around 4 months. The challenge with both April and May is that you won't have your results back until the end of May or June so you'll have to wait till then to finalize your list of programs that you plan to apply to. Taking the test in April or May should not have an impact on the timing of your application. You can submit AMCAS for verification without an MCAT score and the AMCAS will not start verifying applications till July.

Personally, if it were me, I would take the MCAT in May on the 16th. It will give you 10 days without classes where you can focus on hitting those few last areas of concern that everyone has and to rest before the MCAT. That being said, with your schedule as you described above, any of the dates you listed should be fine. Just make a plan and put it into action. Good luck!

I’d take it where you have your score back for day 1 for applications. I didn’t do that and yes my mcat caught up with my application but it’s best to have everything together for day 1. I had extenuating circumstances that kept me from taking it until June. Early apps are more important for borderline MD applicants. Regardless, I don’t think May is bad either. It’s whenever you think you’ll be ready. If that April then take it in April if it’s October then take it then