Opinions needed - ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSDMD

MSDMD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I would like to get opinions from the crowd here. I am a D2, having done very little clinical work yet, just getting my feet wet. I came into dental school thinking I would just do 4 years and then out, then get to work, as I was 28 years old when I started D-school and I have a family. I have done well in school (better than I expected), and find myself in the top 5-10% of my class with a 91 on Part I. I have begun thinking that I might want to specialize, but I don't really have a solid opinion in what area; I really want to see what interests me the most as I spend more time in patient care. My primary interests at this point seem to be Pedo and Ortho. Everything I read on SDN makes me think that I should have a good shot getting into a pedo program somewhere, but ortho is very questionable. The question I have is, what opinions do you have about my chances at getting into ortho on the first try, if I decided to go that route? Just curious, as trying to get into a specialty 2 or 3 times doesn't appeal to me that much, given that I am older and need to start bringing in a paycheck. Also, I am involved in research, I am in student government, I have a masters degree, and I have 6 years of experience in direct patient care in another health care field prior to D-school if that matters.

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you have an excellent chance of getting into a program. The MS and experience are both great resume boosters.

When you get into clinics it will give you a chance to see what you like.

Also, although you may be top 10% now, didactics and clinics are two seperate universes. Just because you are there now doesn't necessarily mean you will be come 4th year. Expose yourself to as much as you can and decide when you need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could do either one i'd say, experience counts
go observe in the grad clinics at your school, local practices, etc

from my point of view (an ortho resident with a ton of friends in pedo residencies):

pedo is more fast paced, more young children, and way more medical

ortho is kinda hands off, a specialty for someone who likes to mull things over in their head for a while - 90% is the diagnosis and plan, but its very fun and clean clinically

which suits your personality?

I am not really sure; I think that I am just going to have to spend some time doing each and observing each and see what my likes and dislikes are. Thanks for all the info!