opinions needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laymens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm 28..undergraduate gpa 3.25 science 3.2 some classes retaken....PhD at state school in physiology with 3.7 gpa....recently took the mcat got a 35 (12/11/12) what schools are most accepting of older applicants and where would I have the best shot? is the mcat enough to offset my spotty undergraduate science courses I had to retake here and there?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no med school that will discriminate against you due to your age. On the contrary, they will welcome a more mature applicant with interesting life experiences.

Assuming the rest of your application is as usual, with the customary clinical experience, shadowing, teaching, research, and maybe leadership, great LORs, you would have a good chance at your state school if it is not too selective, and OOS schools of that ilk. Where are you from?

i'm 28..undergraduate gpa 3.25 science 3.2 some classes retaken....PhD at state school in physiology with 3.7 gpa....recently took the mcat got a 35 (12/11/12) what schools are most accepting of older applicants and where would I have the best shot? is the mcat enough to offset my spotty undergraduate science courses I had to retake here and there?

In-state is your best shot....

I think the MCAT and undergrad GPA will offset some....

just make sure the rest of your app is above average.....get in some excellent ECs....

Members don't see this ad :)
many schools are shifting towards a preference for older applicants. I do not think there will be a huge problem since your stats are good, what is more important would be your ECs

If I read your initial post correctly, you have a PhD and a great MCAT score, there is no need to worry about your GPA as long as your graduate school grades were decent. The PhD is a big plus.

And I agree with previous posts, your age will not be a hindrance.

Build up the rest of your application and you'll be competitive.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

An MCAT of 35 and a PhD are great qualifications to offset any gpa. Your age won't matter. Ironically, these things can also be a negative in some eyes. They may think you have too much lab experience. Kinda stupid but that's the way it works sometimes. I wouldn't worry about your gpa. Instead, I'd focus on getting some clinical and people exposure. Something to show that you're more than a lab rat.