Opinions needed regarding possible online classes. path.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here as you can see, and I know that normally it's best not to ask such vague questions upon first arriving on a new internet forum. But this is really the only way I could think of to approach this.

Here is the scenario: I began college in 1999. I was unable to finish due to a myriad of different issues. I have now decided to finish what I started, to get my Psychology degree. I still feel the path I'd like to follow would be towards a Psy.D degree.

Here's the problem: I work full time and it would take me years to do what I want to do in a normal college environment. I'll admit I am extremely skeptical of online schools. I don't feel that an online program can teach a person the way a traditional program at a school can. But maybe I'm wrong. And I hope I am because the online route may be the only route at this stage. I work full time and have a family. We have a local state college in town but they only offer up to an Asociates as well as a select number of other classes that would go towards a B.A. But a transfer of some kind would ultimately have to happen.

Now to the question: ARE online schools a good option for someone looknig to get into the field of counseling? Are there any legitimate, accredited, and most importantly, REPUTABLE online programs for psychology? I am a few classes shy of acquiring an Associates of Psychology. What sort of a timeframe am I looking at to finish a program online? I've read numerous articles on the concept of onlnie schools. I've seen some statistics that say the number of fraudulant online programs (or "diploma mills" is upwards of 80%.)

I guess what I am looking for are not only direct answers to my questions, but advice in general regarding my situation. Any opinions, advice, or anything of the sort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Online programs in psychology at the bachelor level are not ideal, but are not as bad as those who tout online ph.d.s either. An online bachelors in psych may be able to provide adequate information in terms of facts and didactic learning, but won't particularly prepare one for the realities of psychology in both the academic and clinical worlds. Nothing can substitute for actually being a working part of psychology department, having a relationship with a researcher, and being exposed to real clinical research in action. To me, the online bachelors would feel somewhat superficial. You might know the material very well, but have never seen it in action and never been a part of its culture/personality. This is an important element in deciding if grad school in psychology is really for you and preparing one for ther realities of what psychology is and how it is used. Moreover, at the end of the day you will have an "online degree" (its still a label) and anything that can be used as bias in already super competitive graduate admissions process is not optimal.

Last edited:
And therein lies the problem. That's now what I wanted to hear, although it is basically a reiteration of what I already believed myself. The lack of hands-on experience is exactly what bothers me about online programs.

Which leads me to another question: To get said real-world experience, an internship is obviously a vital part of the process. Would having an online degree hinder one from getting an internship?

Likewise, what good would a B.A. in psychology do me if I planned to go that far and then get some work experince? What I mean is, are internships available to B.A.s? I'd then work towards the Psy.D while interning. Or, are there actual jobs avilable to someone with a simple B.A.?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no formal "internships" for undergrads, because you will not have any clinical skills or training at this time. Gaining research experience will be the most valuable thing (so you will need to attend a college where the professors are somewhat active in research). But, yes, clinical exposure during undergrad will be valuable too, whether volunteering in a shelter, at a suicide hotline, or working as a nurses aid in psychiatric unit. This will be exposure that will benefit you, get you familiar with what its like wot work with psych patients, but you will not be doing formal therapy, diagnosis, or assessments. You will not be able to work (at least not more than 10 hours a week or so) during a doctorate, its just too time intensive. Practicums in grad school are typically not paid.

People with BAs in psych can get regular jobs such as case management, research assistants, or clinical research coordinators

Last edited:
Working at a shelter or other facility does seem like a good idea. I'm definitely interested in psychology in the clinical, practicing sense. I'd rather have a first-hand job dealing with actual patients than a research job (hence my desire to pursue a Psy.D instead of a Ph.D.)

Our state college is in the process of becoming accredited as a full-fledged state university. I'm hoping that in the coming years, this will lead to a larger psychology program.

In any event, I'm still in the decision phase of all of this. But the information you've provided is invaluable and I appreciate it. Thank you.

If you have no interest in research, you NOT should pursue a doctorate, psyd or ph,d. Psyds have to produce original research, write a scaled-down dissertation, etc. The super competitive nature of predoc internship match requires that you demonstrate some degree of research productivity during your grad school tenure. Psychologist are expected to be scientists, regardless of what the applied specialty is. Psychology's roots and strengths are in its empirical base. Practice and research go hand in hand.

Online degrees in general - irrespective of education level - are going to be considered secondary to traditional brick-and-mortar institutions, in my opinion. You would be putting yourself at a disadvantage because the majority of students will have graduated from a traditional college or university. Since the online educational trend has only come up recently, no one really knows the quality of the program curriculum or the quality of students produced from such programs. If you can't tell already, I discourage the online degree route.

1) I do not think that online schooling is a good option for something looking to go into counseling. Counseling requires face-to-face contact with people - both students and superiors. The interpersonal interaction which comes from meeting with the student body and psychology faculty is priceless and certainly cannot be replicated via an online program.

2) I do not know of any legitimate, reputable, online programs in psychology.

3) If you are a few credits short of the AA degree, why not take a few classes at the college you mentioned?

In general, your gut is on the money regarding this issue. I would also say you are being prudent by recognizing the shortcomings of attending an online institution, since there are some people out there who could careless as long as they get some sort of degree.

But like erg said...research experience would be the most important element to acquire if you want to go forward with your education and obtain a doctorate. (Another experience you cannot obtain at an online university). If you are not interested in conducting research, there really is no point in pursuing a doctorate since a PhD and a PsyD both contain research requirements.

I dropped out of college in 2000, joined the military, and finished my undergrad requirements years later online. The fact that it was online had no influence on whether or not I was accepted into any of the graduate programs that I applied to. In fact, I was accepted into all of them... including a PhD (Counseling Psychology).

WHERE your degree comes from is often not that important at the undergraduate level. Good grades, test scores (GRE, etc), high quality writing samples, and everything else required when you apply will stand out more than the name of your college. That is, unless you graduated from a school with a name like Harvard.

Just beware of certain schools which have developed a bad reputation for their online programs. They are bad for a reason, and it will most likely show in your work if you don't go above and beyond what they require of you. My advice would be to choose a school that developed their online programs after being established as an institution LONG BEFORE the internet was used for things like school. UMass is a good example: http://www.umassonline.net/degrees/Online-Degree-Bachelor-Psychology.cfm

To answer your other question... I am currently working as a Mental Health Worker (BA/BS-level peer counselor) for a highly respected and historic psychiatric/substance abuse institution while in my Master's program full time. Just as with applying for grad school, where you can find work with a Psych undergrad will depend on your demonstrated ability, skills, and prior experience/volunteer work... not primarily on the name/location of your school. If you want to gain experience before applying for a Doctorate, I recommend either volunteering in an area that is related to Human Services or seeking a job in a residential or inpatient psych facility (once you have your BA/BS in Psych). Trust me... if you want experience, you'll get it there.

Last edited: