Opinions of jobs in Philly area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepassingas

Reaction score
Hey all, new member but long time lurker. I’m a new doc who is looking for jobs in the Philly area. My Residency was far away from the area so I was unable to get much advice or opinions from my attendings so I thought I’d try here. I’m looking for jobs in the Philly area and have come across and spoken to different groups. Was wondering if people had opinions of the hospitals and groups or just more information in general.

Ive spoken with a few private practice groups with 2-3 year partnership tracks. Salaries range in 370-380 with minor bonuses. Call is about 1:15 weekday and 8 weekends. Do you think this is average for the area, good, or bad?

There are several national groups offering more salary and bonus but call is obviously more frequent and you’re working for a national group.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Median for eastern 2020 is 407. Mean is 380.

Depends on how hard you're working. CRNAs vs MD only. How many hours a week? How often are you called back? Etc. etc.

Hey all, new member but long time lurker. I’m a new doc who is looking for jobs in the Philly area. My Residency was far away from the area so I was unable to get much advice or opinions from my attendings so I thought I’d try here. I’m looking for jobs in the Philly area and have come across and spoken to different groups. Was wondering if people had opinions of the hospitals and groups or just more information in general.

Ive spoken with a few private practice groups with 2-3 year partnership tracks. Salaries range in 370-380 with minor bonuses. Call is about 1:15 weekday and 8 weekends. Do you think this is average for the area, good, or bad?

There are several national groups offering more salary and bonus but call is obviously more frequent and you’re working for a national group.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Temple was/is hiring.

The range you’re quoting is pretty much the range around more populated place in the NE. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. Maybe a little better if you move out of immediate Philly area. Not by a whole lot though, but your COL would be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call is in house and 12 hours on weekdays. Weekends are 24 hours. The private practices I mentioned above are both community hospitals. Care team model with normal days being done around 4-5. Post call day off.

I haven’t really seen much in that area going for higher. I was considering making this move now as the market is hot and was unsure if I would find partnership gigs in Philly with similar hours in the future and salary. I am making more at my current location, but not where I want to live long term.

I'd say just go for it then. I'd take a little hit to be in a private group
Thanks for the advice. Sometimes it’s hard to justify the salary hit even though you know it’s for the best long term. Seeing the immediate decrease in checks coming in hurts haha.

What is compensation after making partner ?

I would guess temple is around those numbers and so maybe think about that for added stability and easier job if partners are making 370-380

They would not disclose exact salary if partners, but stated it would be well north of the associate salary. Call is distributed equally amongst partners as well. Should I expect them to give a number to their partner salary?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
They would not disclose exact salary if partners, but stated it would be well north of the associate salary. Call is distributed equally amongst partners as well. Should I expect them to give a number to their partner salary?

Don't you want to know how much you'll be making for 90%+ of your career?

Reactions: 5 users
Others can weigh in who are partners. But I’ve been on 6 pp interviews and offered jobs at all of them. They were all rather up front with partner comp once once offered

Reactions: 3 users

I would want to know earning potential before signing a contract. What does “well north” mean? Is it productivity based? I would have a lot of questions before I made a big move and took a risk on a partnership track.

Hint: If you found this job on Gaswork then you probably have more leverage than you realize. A private practice in the immediate Philly area (i.e. highly populated, desirable, with many training programs nearby) should have no problem recruiting. In other words, don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. If they are vague or refuse to answer then take it as a red flag and move on.

I have not heard great things about Temple, but things may have changed.

Reactions: 1 users
They definitely should give you some sort of idea about compensation once partner. Also make sure to ask about payor mix, the size of any hospital subsidy, and the group’s relationship with administration to help gauge whether they’ll still be private in a few years when you make partner.

Reactions: 1 user
The city proper has a bad rep for malpractice environment and very high local taxes. Don't know if true for surrounding counties.