Opinions on Cornell/TriI and Duke

Started by PhysSci
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhysSci

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to get opinions on these two outstanding MSTPs to help me make a decision.
 
Just wanted to get opinions on these two outstanding MSTPs to help me make a decision.


In brief:

Tri-I:
-more and better research opportunities
-NYC: fun, but horrible standard of living
-weaker med school

Duke:
-enough good labs that you can find a great one for you
-Durham: not as fun, but great standard of living
-better med school. However, I personally think that cramming the first two years of med school into one is a travesty. I'm happy to debate this but it's late so I'll leave it at that for now.

Both have some of the fastest graduation times of all MSTPs.

Really, though, it will - and should - probably come down to where you'd rather live. If you want to be in NYC, go to Tri-I. If you want to live in Durham, go to Duke. You will get roughly the same training at either place if you apply yourself.
 
Tri-I for the win. Rockefeller is an excellent place to do PhD training, I'd prolly pick Tri-I over most programs just for this reason. The NYC living cost can be a bit of a problem tho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to get opinions on these two outstanding MSTPs to help me make a decision.

Like you say, they are both outstanding. Can't go wrong. I would look for the better grad school department in the field you are interested in. If you are interested in Virology, for example, and Duke's dept has 45 faculty to Cornell's 10, then you should DEFINITELY got to Duke... I'm making up these numbers, but it is something you need to seriously consider.
 
Like you say, they are both outstanding. Can't go wrong. I would look for the better grad school department in the field you are interested in. If you are interested in Virology, for example, and Duke's dept has 45 faculty to Cornell's 10, then you should DEFINITELY got to Duke... I'm making up these numbers, but it is something you need to seriously consider.


agreed, with the caveat being that your interests may (probably: will) change.