Opinions on Drexel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadAsian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking throughout SDN for opinions on Drexel and have definitely seen a fair share of negativity about the school. What in particular do people view negatively about Drexel? I've read some stuff about the fact that there are no lectures, but after taking an SMP, I thrive on fast-forwarded lectures at home in my PJs, so this doesn't particularly bother me. I've also seen some other comments about their clinical rotations and student wellness, but a good number of all these comments are from 2005-2014. I wanted to post here to get some more recent opinions and to grab more people's attention than those following the school-specific threads.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you feel about the school? How was your interview day? Don't let the opinions of others online sway your decision about a medical school. Some negatives are definitely worth considering and looking into, but sometimes (most times probably) the individuals making the negative claims are coming from a biased position.

Before attending the interview at one of the schools I am currently accepted to, I read some very negative comments on SDN about the school. In the comparison threads on SDN, it seemed that almost everyone advised picking the other school. After attending the interview day, I realized that most of these comments were completely unwarranted and that the school turned out to be much, much better than I was led to believe.

In our residency, the Drexel med grads who came to us were quite well-prepared. Being in Philadelphia, they had worked in busy clinical environments, many of which were understaffed in terms of ancillary services, so they did not complain about workload and they knew how to problem-solve in clinical settings. Our two most recent ones went to Drexel because of partners in grad school in Philadelphia, and they were slightly older, non-traditional students with strong support systems in that city. If you are good with doing lectures in PJ's and will be outgoing in making friends, you will be fine there. The Drexel UG programs are innovative and they have strong partnerships with industry, including Pharma and medical device companies. Mentorship in bioengineering, etc would be possible. Phila is a cool city for medical students - pretty affordable compared to other big cities, great neighborhoods, each with their own unique character, and lots of grad/arts students of all types.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
100% ignore the comments on here. I’ve been adamant about it before, but, until you’ve experienced it, you cannot judge a school. Ive legit seen DUCOM called the caribbean of USMD (before CNU). Even so, we match well and our board scores are above average.

Your clinical experience is site dependent. It is preceptor dependent. So many factors go into a good or bad clerkship. I, for one, feel that my clinical training has been good thus far (with one big exception).

Reactions: 1 users
100% ignore the comments on here. I’ve been adamant about it before, but, until you’ve experienced it, you cannot judge a school. Ive legit seen DUCOM called the caribbean of USMD (before CNU). Even so, we match well and our board scores are above average.

Your clinical experience is site dependent. It is preceptor dependent. So many factors go into a good or bad clerkship. I, for one, feel that my clinical training has been good thus far (with one big exception).

Could you elaborate on the "big exception?"

When I interviewed there, I didn't see any of the bad things that some SDN posts warned about. The students I talked to seemed happy to be there (although those who volunteer to give tours and talk with applicants may be a bit self-selecting). Facilities were comparable, and nicer in some cases, to higher ranked schools that I interviewed at. I think the only drawbacks some students mentioned were the distance of some clinical rotations and the tuition (one of the highest in the nation), but these are not major issues in the grand scheme of things.

When I interviewed there, I didn't see any of the bad things that some SDN posts warned about. The students I talked to seemed happy to be there (although those who volunteer to give tours and talk with applicants may be a bit self-selecting). Facilities were comparable, and nicer in some cases, to higher ranked schools that I interviewed at. I think the only drawbacks some students mentioned were the distance of some clinical rotations and the tuition (one of the highest in the nation), but these are not major issues in the grand scheme of things.

And ironically, many of my classmates say their experiences at places like York or Allegheny were better than say experiences at HUH. It’s all perspective. I am married and fully prepared to have to go away for my EM rotation as an M4.