opinions on kaplan for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frangeo27

Frangeo27
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that DID use kaplan for step 1, are you glad you did? wish you didn't? or did not make a difference either way?? I'm on the verge of paying one of their packages, but it's a chunk of cash so I want to be sure. any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Qbank for step 1 and step 2. Not USMLEWORLD. Actually bought usmleworld for step 1 and thought it was garbage. I felt that kaplan did an excellent job of representing the real test. I liked the explanations and the breakdowns by subject, etc.

I used Step Up and Qbank almost exclusively for step 1 and was pretty darned happy with my score.

I used Qbank for step 1 and step 2. Not USMLEWORLD. Actually bought usmleworld for step 1 and thought it was garbage. I felt that kaplan did an excellent job of representing the real test. I liked the explanations and the breakdowns by subject, etc.

I used Step Up and Qbank almost exclusively for step 1 and was pretty darned happy with my score.
I also want to know the answer to this question...can a moderator move this to the USMLE forum??? I want to know whether or not the LIVE LECTURES are worthwhile. I thought it would be a nice idea to change up the pace from studying, by attending lectures... Any thoughts?

I also want to know the answer to this question...can a moderator move this to the USMLE forum??? I want to know whether or not the LIVE LECTURES are worthwhile. I thought it would be a nice idea to change up the pace from studying, by attending lectures... Any thoughts?
I took the Kaplan LivePrep class and enjoyed it. But I don't think it was necessary by any means.

I like having material presented to me in lecture format. Plus, it was nice to have someone to ask questions with (just be considerate enough to do so during the breaks and not during the actual lecture).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also very interested in this topic. Im planning to go with the home based program or the web videos but havent decided yet. Do you guys think that the web based videos is any better than the home study program? However, I prefer studying in the organ system format, but dont know how it will affect from one program to the other....anyone?

I am also very interested in this topic. Im planning to go with the home based program or the web videos but havent decided yet. Do you guys think that the web based videos is any better than the home study program? However, I prefer studying in the organ system format, but dont know how it will affect from one program to the other....anyone?

people have done well using either series. it just boils down to each person's individual style (whether they like incorporating videos, or whether they need the organ system format to maintain maximal correlation of all the information etc).

what do people think about using the homestudy books to "fill in the gaps" into FA, system by system. Then go through the consolidated and thicker version of FA while constantly taking questions through q bank/UW/USMLERx?? I understand there's no right way to do this, but does this sound useless??

where you unbind FA add a bunch of empty paper after each section to add notes and rebind with rings.

so no one has any thoughts/personal experience about annotating FA from kaplan's home study volume set (the 4 books)?

I have friends who used Kaplan for individual subjects, but not the whole deal. For instance I know quite a few people who liked the biochem, molec bio, and immuno sections. They did quite well on Step 1. They did use other books though for most of it (CMMRS, Goljan, BRS physio, and some HY series)