Opinions on my current situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curtislow09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I graduated high school in 2009 and went directly into college. I was in college for 4 semesters before I decided I just wasn’t ready and quit. My last semester I quit going about half way through but I never dropped out so I ended up with all F’s. I worked for a while and decided to go back in this past August. My overall gpa was a 0.8. I took 20 hours this semester and took my last final yesterday to finish with a 4.0 for the semester. I was also working 40+ hours a week at a hospital and I tutored an additional 20+ hours/week in Gen Chem 1. Do I need to be thinking about a route other than medical school or is that a possibility even with my horrible grades a few years ago? Also, any experiences with a low gpa and matriculation would be appreciated. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) How many credit hours with a 0.8 GPA do you have? What is both your cumulative and science GPA?
2) TIA = Thanks in advance?

I have no real advice for you, as I’m just a lowly premed myself. But kudos on that 0.8 gpa. I’ve never seen one so low. It’s almost impressive actually.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no real advice for you, as I’m just a lowly premed myself. But kudos on that 0.8 gpa. I’ve never seen one so low. It’s almost impressive actually.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, the question now becomes "has the OP done everything since that 0.8 GPA correctly".

With hours at a hospital, tutoring, a recent 4.0 GPA, etc., the OP seems to be right on track. Long road ahead, but on track for now.

So some further calculating made me realize I have a 1.0 instead of a 0.8.
Prior to this semester I had:

Criminal Justice A 3 credits
Biology 1 B 4 credits
English Comp 1 C 3 credits
English Comp 2 B 3 credits
Intro to sociology C 3 credits
US History 2 C 3 credits
Art Appreciation D 3 credits

And 25 hours of F’s

I will say that there was only two classes that would’ve counted towards my BCPM gpa that were F’s.

Would you suggest retaking the classes that I got F’s in even if they aren’t required classes or is it better to chalk them up as a loss and move forward? I know grade replacement is no longer an option. My plan is to take higher level science courses to show what I’m capable of now.

Also, my BCPM gpa is right at a 3.0 on 26 hours.

For people in your shoes I always recommend attempting to get a retroactive withdrawal. There is no guarantee you'll get it, but if you can have a semester of F's turned into W's, it will make a huge positive impact on your GPA. If that doesn't work out, just keep getting A's and if you do everything else right some school will take you.