Opinions On My Gap Year Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitch8017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read some previous posts on gap years and the like but was unable to find one that was similar enough to my situation, so I figured I would make a post about it and see if I could get a few opinions from the SDN population.
I am currently in my 3rd year at a 4 year university after having spent 2 years as a PSEO student where I took community college courses during my last 2 years of high school (to the tune of 61 credits and an AA Degree, but a 3.37 gpa due to a mediocre and uninspired "senior slide" type of final year where I underperformed in some general classes, but no grade lower than a few Cs). However, I have done well since coming to to my 4 year university, earning a 3.9 gpa and 4.0s in my last 3 semesters. I am currently prepping for my June 1st MCAT and plan to take the MCAT on that date regardless of whether I take a year off or not. I have a substantial amount of patient care experience and research (close to 1000 hours of each by the time the 2017 cycle begins).
Now, where my gap year would differ from most others is that I would be looking to take it between what adds up to be my Junior and Senior years rather than after graduation. There are a few reasons why I want to do this.

First, I would have my MCAT completed and I would not have to worry about the application cycle at all during my gap year, and this would give me more flexibility in the things I can try to accomplish during my time off.

Second, I have a research job I am heavily involved in and will be able to start my own project soon that, all things going well, has a good chance of leading to a paper submission. If I don't take this gap year between my Junior and Senior years, I may not be able to complete it at all, and I certainly would not be able to have a paper submitted (and possibly accepted) by the time I sent in my applications.

Third, I could use more shadowing hours as I currently have only shadowed doctors a few times and I also could use more money for when the application cycle comes around as I don't qualify for any assistance programs. I would be able to work either 20 or 40 hours (too long to explain the "or") at my research job and I could pick up another job at the hospital, such as phlebotomy or scribe work.

Fourth, I could get more volunteering experiences in as well as go on another service trip over spring break, something I have been trying to do again since my last trip.

Fifth, I would like to travel abroad and either study or take part in some type of service, and without taking a year off I do not see the possibility of being able to travel abroad since the only significant breaks I get from school I need to work to keep up with tuition and the bills that come throughout the year.

Sixth, I could spend a little more time with my family as I don't get to go with my father on his annual hunting trips anymore or get to enjoy the beautiful fall season at my family cabin. Simply having a couple more longish weekends out of the fall season with allow me to see my family in a way that means a lot to all of us.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, I think it would be valuable to take some time to step back and make sure this is something I want to do. I got on this path when I was 14 years old and I haven't taken a significant amount of time to stop and evaluate to make sure I still want to do this. I believe I do, but I feel like sometimes it is better to step out and view the issue from the outside looking in. I haven't gotten tired of school or anything like that, but at the age of 20 my life can go a lot of different ways, and I don't want to pick one that I might not be satisfied with for the next 40+ years.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this novel I put together and I am really just trying to get the opinions of some other people who know a thing or two about the application process and see what you all think are some positives and negatives of this idea, and whether or not you believe this idea is worth pursuing. I look forward to reading your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see these posts as a challenge, and I like a good challenge. So....

*Opens two tabs of sdn for the purpose of simultaneous reading and replying*

Assuming your AA and later grades are all averaged and assuming you make at least as good or better grades in your remainig time then your cGPA (cumulative GPA) will be at least 3.635 which is a solid (not great) but good enough grade to apply with (this + good MCAT and the rest). If lower, then that's still not the end of the world as 3.5 is the hard and fast minimum for MD and a great one for DO (which is also a physician).

MCAT prepping-- I'm not sure what the benefits/detriments of starting to study 7 months in advance, but that personally scares me. I don't have any data on me atm, but I think 2-3 months of intense studying immediately beforehand seems to work for most; purely based on my limited knowledge of memory loss over time and the need tomaintain several months old information.

1000 hours of patient care is quite a lot. What kind of patient care experience? Did you push wheelchairs around (noble and important) or were you taking people's vitals at a shelter? Space and time matter for context. If the latter experience then you're probably good.

Research. Research, if that's part of your passion and you make that into your story, shows commitment and interest to science and that is all good. I believe that research isn't the most important EC. As for publications, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, unless you're applying as an MD/PhD or to an academic instution that favors reesarch, pubs don't matter as much as shadowing, clinical exposure community work, and serving the underprivileged.

Shadow more. Michael Jackson's 'Don't stop till you get enough' is a song that comes readily to mind.

Volunteering is good.

That's nice that your family has a fall season cabin. Thank you for sharing that wonder"fall" detail. I'm hilarious.

Not gonna lie mitch8017, but after reading just this, I don't know what you want the sdn commentators to validate for you. Yes, you have some checkboxes ticked and yes you need to work on others, but once you starting talking about the need to figure out if this is the path for you...then that's where my input stops to matter. Because that's a conversation for you and yourself to have and I don't wanna third wheel that.

I will finally insert my last opinion regarding the tone of your penultimate paragraph and say that, although no one truly understands the profession of a physician just from shadowing or service work, you should be able to get a decent grasp on the overall picture through shadowing or working in some health care capacity that observes a physician's day.

If you are still fuzzy on that picture, and would genuinely like to figure things out, you might want to take some time to really figure out what you see yourself doing. On a practical level, let's just see how you do on the MCAT before you have a mid-life crisis.

TLDR; You seem to be doing the right things and obviously have done a lot of service and research, but I think you need more exposure to healthcare with a physician, as you seem to be on shaky ground. So. Go plant yourself firmly underneath those red and yellow leaves in that crisp and cool air outside your family's cabin. And breathe. And you'll know your path.

Reactions: 1 user
Research. Research, if that's part of your passion and you make that into your story, shows commitment and interest to science and that is all good. I believe that research isn't the most important EC. As for publications, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, unless you're applying as an MD/PhD or to an academic institution that favors research, pubs don't matter as much as shadowing, clinical exposure community work, and serving the underprivileged.
I believe having at least 1 publication earns you extra points compared to anyone who has just research. Anyone can get research, not everyone can publish. If the place you are applying to is a research powerhouse, you MUST have a publication because chances are, everyone you are competing with has a publication as well.

This is not true. A publication will certainly help your application, but I have seen top-20 schools offer interviews to applicants who didn't even have significant research experience (ie, only 1 or 2 semesters).
I do apologize. You don't have to but you have to have significant things to back up your app at that point. high gpa, mcat, life story, EC, etc that makes adcom members seem like you fit their school's mission.

Reactions: 1 user