Opinions on my position (non-trad)?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRTLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted in another thread, but I figured I would start my own. Here is my situation....any input on my position and potential to getting into schools would be much appreciated. I am a 26 year old chiropractor who is currently in private practice. The practice does well, but something is missing. My undergraduate GPA was roughly a 3.5-3.6 as a Biology major. I graduated Cum Laude from Chiropractic school with a 3.6 GPA. In addition to being in private practice, I teach anatomy and physiology to nursing students at the local college. EC activities include volutarily treating patients at the local free clinic, serving on the board of directors for three organizations: Rotary, a business referral group, and an Education foundation which is a subsidary of the school district. I also take part in a year long leadership program in which the city nominates people seen as the future leaders of the community. I will begin the application process in May, and will take the MCAT in June. I know MCAT scores will tell a better story of where I stand, but with this information, how are things looking for me? Any advice would be appreciated. My reason for posting here is to make sure this is do-able. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

DRTLA, please don't double post your questions. Pick one thread or one forum, and post it once.

As you said, it is difficult to know where you stand without an MCAT score. I think if you can pull off a 30 on the MCAT and you apply wisely and broadly, you should have as good of a chance as anyone. Best of :luck: to you. :)

I apologize for the double post...first time posting on here. Thanks for your advice. This whole process can be somewhat daunting, especially when going at it alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're in good shape. As you said, you'll know better after taking the MCAT.

Biggest piece of advice I have is to ignore the "deadlines". Since it's rolling admissions, almost all schools start giving away spots right away. That means you should apply as soon as the applications become available. I got into med school only on my second round because I originally thought I was doing well by getting in my application a few weeks rather than a few months before the deadline. The earlier the better!

How do admissions look at people with doctorate degrees such as myself. Would they see being a DC as a plus or a liability? I would prefer to get into a MD program. My understanding is that it is easier to match a surgical residency with a MD as opposed to a DO. Any thoughts?

In all honesty, many doctors and thus I expect many in admissions committees dont see chiropractics as a real evidence-based modality and thus view it with much skepticism. I dont think it will harm you perse but it probably wont be as much of an asset as say a PhD in physiology.

MD and DO have the same practice rights but most say that it is an easier road going the MD route. Most DO students for whatever reason choose allopathic residencies after school. There is still a stigma in some areas, so MDs will have an easier time matching into MD residenceis. This is more prevalent in competitive specialties (Ortho, ophtho, ENT, Derm, Plastics, Rads) which are very difficult to match into as an MD. Going into allopathic IM, FM, EM, psych, neuro or peds shouldnt be much of an issue from DO or MD.

DOs also have their own training programs which are closed to MDs. So, you could always do a DO surgery residency. Allopathic schools and residencies are generally at large, research-oriented academic centers with a high volume of cases while many osteopathic schools and residencies are at smaller community hospitals. The difference in cases you will see at a 1000 bed hospital and a 200 bed community hospital are pretty drastic which will affect your training.

But you are putting the cart before the horse... first study and take the MCAT. Once you know your score you will be able to assess whether you can get into any medical school.

How long have you been practicing as a DC?
The degree probably won't matter either way, but you need to articulate why you want to make the switch after only practicing a short time.

Any idea what your BCPM gpa is?
Overall gpa is fine.

Don't take the MCAT lightly. Spend a lot of time prepping and you should be able to do well and get some interviews. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been practicing for two years. Like I mentioned, my practice is going well...its just that urge to pursue medicine has now become a full fledged passion. I understand the stigma that is attached to most chiropractors. I guess I can only hope to get some interviews and prove my worth. As for my science GPA, I don't have my transcripts from UT, so I don't exactly know for sure. I am about to begin studying for the June MCAT, then spray and pray with my applications. Thanks again. There was some useful information in your posts.