Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to start volunteering for a crisis hotline, unfortunately the one hotline by my school is not accepting volunteers at this time. I'm interested in some exposure to mental health, so I was debating volunteering for the crisis textline: http://www.crisistextline.org/
The volunteering would consist of me responding to people through text and videochat. As such, it doesn't require me to go to a specific location, I would volunteer from my home. Would adcoms dislike the idea of volunteering from your home, and "online volunteering"?
Also, what are your opinions on volunteering for a crisis hotline being a topic to write about for the diversity essay?
Edit: This would not be a standalone volunteer activity. I have two ongoing clinical volunteer activities, and a couple other nonclinical volunteer activities. I primarily want to do this to the mental health exposure, and so I can talk about something extra for the diversity essay and several of the AAMC competencies.
The volunteering would consist of me responding to people through text and videochat. As such, it doesn't require me to go to a specific location, I would volunteer from my home. Would adcoms dislike the idea of volunteering from your home, and "online volunteering"?
Also, what are your opinions on volunteering for a crisis hotline being a topic to write about for the diversity essay?
Edit: This would not be a standalone volunteer activity. I have two ongoing clinical volunteer activities, and a couple other nonclinical volunteer activities. I primarily want to do this to the mental health exposure, and so I can talk about something extra for the diversity essay and several of the AAMC competencies.
Last edited: